Hdmi Monitor with speakers and 3.5 jack - no sound through jack

May 5, 2018
I have an "ASUS VZ249Q 23,8" IPS LED Monitor" with HDMI support and 3.5 jack on it.
I wanted to play on my PC with earphones... but because the monitor has speakers.. the sound came from the speakers... even if I connected the earphones to the monitor through the 3.5 jack...didnt work... sound still came from monitor speakers.

Is there any solution for this ? I didnt find any option in the monitor settings to turn off the speakers.. and there is no other output in the sound settings.

Solution
As I said, the 3.5jack on the display mentioned, ASUS VZ249Q is audio INPUT.
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VZ249Q/specifications/
It is there in case you are using VGA and want to use display's speakers, in which case you use 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from computer to monitor.

Said jack will NEVER, ever output sound.

Some other monitors might have audio out jacks, some have both in and out, it depends on their specification.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Also pointing out that the 3.5mm jack in said display is audio IN, not out so plugging headphones to it does nothing.

Past that, ebosss03 is right, disable display as sound playback device and you headphones should work normally when attached to the computer.

ebosss03

Great
May 1, 2018
I can set that up too you need to go to
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA
and then RtkNGUI64 thats the realtek software then set the earphones to "headset" 2.1 and that should fix it

May 5, 2018
The thing is, that on my previous monitor there was only 3.5 jack and there was NO built-in speakers, so I used the monitor's jack, not the jack on the PC... because of the HDMI quality... and it worked properly.

Now with the new monitor, same thing : I want to use the jack on my monitor, not the jack on the PC... but if I disable the monitor as a playback device, then also no sound through the monitor's jack.

If I leave it enabled and use it as a default device... then sound comes only through monitor speakers, but nothing through the jack.

#thank you ebosss03, now I'll try this and see if it works

May 5, 2018
What do you mean it has no name ?

Well, if I wanna use the earphones through PC.. no problem... but if I wanna use the monitor's jack with my earphones... then there is no separated playback device.. like "Monitor speakers HDMI" and "Monitor jack HDMI"... so.. I cannot turn off the monitor speakers and becasue of this, cannot use the monitor's jack.
The PC's jack works properly with my earphones, but that time its not the HDMI quality.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
As I said, the 3.5jack on the display mentioned, ASUS VZ249Q is audio INPUT.
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VZ249Q/specifications/
It is there in case you are using VGA and want to use display's speakers, in which case you use 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from computer to monitor.

Said jack will NEVER, ever output sound.

Some other monitors might have audio out jacks, some have both in and out, it depends on their specification.

Solution
May 5, 2018
Yeah, somehow I missed this one in your previous answer. Now I know... but the webshop where I bought it, didnt mention that its an input, so.. thank you, this was my mistake, that I didnt look for the details.