Solved! HDMI or Fiber

G

I have purchased a Samsung PN58C7000 and a Denon 3311CI to replace my aging Pioneer PDP 503 CMX. My problem is, I need a 50 ft cable from the Denon to the Samsung. I do not want to have signal issues with the setup. So will a 1.4 HDMI flat cable work or will I be better off with Fiber optics?

Solution
Optical can only do sound and the bandwidth is lower than HDMI can offer. However, 50 feet of HDMI cable is a bit much but as long as you are sure you have no interference then you're ok. Fiber Optic does not have that problem but I suggest you have the 50 feet cord done by professional as they usually have better type of optical cable. And you know the the cable is tested for, so you're sure the loss is minimal.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
fiber optics? To do what?
I think you are referring to the toslink connection. That is just for 5.1 channel audio no video. Also, it's not true fiber optics-just a red led; not true laser. HDMI is good for distance upto 50ft. Any longer will required a repeater.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Optical can only do sound and the bandwidth is lower than HDMI can offer. However, 50 feet of HDMI cable is a bit much but as long as you are sure you have no interference then you're ok. Fiber Optic does not have that problem but I suggest you have the 50 feet cord done by professional as they usually have better type of optical cable. And you know the the cable is tested for, so you're sure the loss is minimal.

Solution