Solved! HDMI question

LTH80

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Does the length of the HDMI cable affect the cable?

I'll describe my problem, I bought a Onkyo TX SR606 receiver and I worked fine at first.
Sometimes when I turned it on, there would be no signal and nothing would come up on screen.
This got progressively worse over time. Now it happens all the time. It seems if it is on already, it will work right away, like it is warmed up. Anyways, this happens with my computer, PS3, and HDTV cable box all connected via HDMI.
But now that I think of it, my xbox360 doesn't even work anymore through the component connections.

Jus a shot in the dark I guess, hoping my $700 receiver isn't a piece of trash. :sweat:

Solution
The length of an HDMI cable does affect how it works. Each piece of equipment "handshakes" to the other and if this does not work you get no picture. To determine if the receiver is bad connect the source directly to the TV with the same cable that goes from the receiver to the TV and see if that works. If you can try a better long cable or add an HDMI booster.
The length of an HDMI cable does affect how it works. Each piece of equipment "handshakes" to the other and if this does not work you get no picture. To determine if the receiver is bad connect the source directly to the TV with the same cable that goes from the receiver to the TV and see if that works. If you can try a better long cable or add an HDMI booster.

Solution