Headset microphone emitting high-pitched whine and static noise

Raidenjh

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I've had this issue for a long time now and after searching around for hours I am pretty sure it has something to do with my ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard but I cannot find a solution or the cause.

Just like the title says it's a high-pitched whine and static noise. There is no fan or background noise in the room.

It's not the headset itself or the mic on it. I'm using the ASTRO A40 TR and also tested with the Sennheiser G4ME Zeros. Both microphones make the same identical noise when I record or talk in-game.

I have uninstalled audio drivers and reinstalled the latest version and different types, somehow the noise remains.

I have a recording here in this youtube clip: Clip of noise

I also have some evidence that this has something to do with the ASUS sound/drivers or motherboards, in this video the same high-pitched noise can be heard if you turn up the volume and listen: ASUS sonic suite tutorial clip

It's not mic feedback or anything like that I believe, very strange issue and hopefully some of you know a solution, thank you!

Solution
It definitely is the onboard amp. And it just happens to be not spec'd right for your headset. If you had an analog mixamp you'd be fine as well but those kind are expensive. The USB mixamps are a great alternative and cost less

Raidenjh

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

I plug the PSU directly in the wall outlet, I just changed it to another wall outlet to see if it helped but the noise is still there.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
could be an issue with amperage/volts running through the hardware. either not enough or too much.
are you perhaps overclocking your system? if so are you doing a standard multiplier OC or are you messing with the BLCK?

are you using a mixamp?

Raidenjh

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

I am not overclocking or using any mixamp, I turned off all the turbo features and boosts for the CPU and uninstalled any software that could effect the mic. But it's still making the noise. :/

Raidenjh

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

I tried my HyperX Cloud II's which are USB connected and the mic sounds completely fine on them, so surely if I get a mixamp like that and connect my analog headset to that it should get rid of the noise and fix the problem.

But it's still strange because an analog headset like the Sennheiser G4ME Zeros shouldn't require a mixamp and the mic should sound fine by just connecting them to the rear mic in on the motherboard. It has to be something to do with the on-board amplification which is controlled with the ASUS software SupremeFX.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
It definitely is the onboard amp. And it just happens to be not spec'd right for your headset. If you had an analog mixamp you'd be fine as well but those kind are expensive. The USB mixamps are a great alternative and cost less

Solution

gomer.pal41

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I had the same prob with an Inspiron M531r. I left clicked on the speaker icon in lower right hand corner, that took me to volume control where I clicked on the word "mixer" at the bottom. Once there I left clicked on the microphone icon in the volume mixer. It had been left active and I simply clicked on the icon under the mic to de-activate it since I was not using it at the time. That solved the problem. Good luck.

gomer.pal41

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I had the same prob with an Inspiron M531r. I left clicked on the speaker icon in lower right hand corner, that took me to volume control where I clicked on the word "mixer" at the bottom. Once there I left clicked on the microphone icon in the volume mixer. It had been left active and I simply clicked on the icon under the mic to de-activate it since I was not using it at the time. That solved the problem. Good luck.