Solved! HELP! Need to make a decision on TV ASAP

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Okay so I bought a 51" Samsung plasma, and when I got it into the house, its probably way bigger than we need. The couch is about 2 to 2.5 meters away, which is probably too close for a TV that big. So I'm thinking maybe getting a better quality 42" makes more sense. I don't have much time to swap it, so I need help. Here's what I have now:

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS51D550C1MXXS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

and I was thinking something more like this?

http://www.videopro.com.au/p-3637-panasonic-42-viera-thp42st30a-full-hd-3d-plasma-tv.aspx

Mind you I'm trying to keep it around $1,000. So I can't go out of that budget. I'm just trying to make the most of that price range. I'm going to be using the TV for movies, gaming, and obviously broadcast TV.

I really don't know much about the main benefits of plasma vs. LED LCD other than LED can be brighter, but apparently new plasmas are really good too? So I'm not sure if I should be looking at any LED's in that price range or if that other 42" plasma I listed is a better option or what. Really any advice on this is GREATLY appreciated as my time is limited. Thanks for any guidance.

BTW I'm limited to Australia prices and availability, so keep that in mind.

Solution
at least in the past... plasma televisions have been notoriously expensive to maintain. i got this information from a person who worked in tv repair a few years ago. i'm not sure about the newer models.

led tv refers to the backlighting only. the tv is still a lcd. normal lcd tvs use ccfl backlighting. unless you get a grid-array backlighting type you aren't going to get any improvement over normal ccfl. most led tvs are edgelit.

plasma tvs have way better contrast ratios than lcds do due to the different technology.

---

personally i'd get an IPS type panel in a television. i know my sony bravia from a few years back has one (6ohz model).

at least in the past... plasma televisions have been notoriously expensive to maintain. i got this information from a person who worked in tv repair a few years ago. i'm not sure about the newer models.

led tv refers to the backlighting only. the tv is still a lcd. normal lcd tvs use ccfl backlighting. unless you get a grid-array backlighting type you aren't going to get any improvement over normal ccfl. most led tvs are edgelit.

plasma tvs have way better contrast ratios than lcds do due to the different technology.

---

personally i'd get an IPS type panel in a television. i know my sony bravia from a few years back has one (6ohz model).

Solution