Hulu, MSN Track Users With "Supercookies"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Oops, how did several lines of code which serve a specific and intentional purpose get in there?[/citation]
My exact thoughts! Don't think these guys are the only ones though I'm betting other huge companies are doing the same thing and haven't been caught yet.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Funny how they got their hands in the cookie jar, but upon questioning, they're all like "what? That's not my hand! I don't know how it got there!"
bull$h1t

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
"These include the use of "supercookies" which are not only legal, but almost impossible to detect."

Legal? For something legal they sure removed it quick, or said they did. How is it legal to rummage through my hard drive? Maybe someone will rummage through theirs and leave a present someday......

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
How I am not surprised to read this. A lot of tech companies are doing this and yet, no one admits it! What a bunch of hypocritical BSes!

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
FF+NoScript+Ghoster=Win.

And hulu hates me for it too, "We're sorry, we are not able to run ads at this time. Movies are brought to you for free with support from our advertisers......" and blah blah blah blah

But the crappy movie that nobody ever watches, still runs....

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
"Those using Mozilla's Firefox browser can install the BetterPrivacy extension that will help block most of those pesky invaders."

Been doing that for years. If anyone wonders why I've been using firefox regardless of benchmarks tom's hardware comes out with, this is one of the reasons. With the high customization of firefox due to add ons, it's superior regardless of the 1ms edge another browser may have over it. Not to mention chrome loves to sniff every letter you put in the address bar. Ad block plus also makes it so my computer NEVER tries to load ads or banners which eat up bandwidth that increase speed and my exposure to viruses has gone down 20 fold due to not ever loading those virus infected marketing banners.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hehe was already using my own batch files running dozens of preconfigured CCleaner to get the job done (yeah CCleaner cannot have more than 300 extra lines added to it's .ini file) and also using betterprivacy for a few monthx now. It works wonders and so I'm happy more user will use these for their own privacy protection.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Supercookies have existed since flash. They can sometimes reduce load times on websites due to less information (normal cookies) being sent back to the server.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Sounds like a basis of not knowing what you are doing more then anything. But if you can use cookies guess they are good for the use of them.

The idea is based mainly on some interests the most from what I can tell. But "legal" might come and go for it honestly.

Still though, rather to say anything is probably subjective and perspective but of it though probably has just as many rights and wrongs to it as the article kinda states.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
These so called "super cookies" from flash are actually called Shared Objects. The work the same way a normal cookie does they just live in a different location. My browser preferences are set to clear all private data each time it closes so it removes cookies, shared objects, cache, and history. Problem solved.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]".....Maybe someone will rummage through theirs and leave a present someday......[/citation]

I thought that was WikiLeak's job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.