Humming in one (passive) speaker - can't sort it out :-/

dremorabanisher

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
I have home speakers for PC that worked normally for years. However, since few days ago, the left one (the passive one, that doesn't have any electronics inside), started humming all the time. It's very noticeable.

Just to be sure I tried the following:

- Switched them off from the PC
- Switched them of completely from any input source
- Changed the cables
- Removed both speakers from all other devices to avoid any interference

Nothing helped.

The buzzing is very noticeable when I touch some things on the active speaker, e.g. the outside heatsink. Whenever I touch the heatsink the buzzing is greatly amplified.
However, no matter what I tried, I couldn't remove this annoying humming noise.

Any suggestion how to fix it would be greatly appreciated since they are working normally and I don't want to discard them. :)

Thanks!

Solution
you use stranded wire will little copper tread in check if the are not one that touch both connector on speaker like red to black and if you could open the speaker case check the inside connector look like a matter or false ground . see this link https://customcable.ca/stranded-vs-solid-wire/

dremorabanisher

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
Erm, guys, thanks for trying to help, but please read what I wrote in my first post.

This happens when nothing is connected to the speakers, when they are totally isolated from any interference, from any source.

The moment I connect the left speaker with the right one, by using 2 red and black wires, the humming starts from that speaker and nothing can make it disappear. Nothing that I tried so far.

Maybe they have gone bad, but the music/sound is still crystal clear when connected to the PC.

Also, when I touch the biggest speaker (bass?) I can feel the vibrations of the buzzing.

you use stranded wire will little copper tread in check if the are not one that touch both connector on speaker like red to black and if you could open the speaker case check the inside connector look like a matter or false ground . see this link https://customcable.ca/stranded-vs-solid-wire/

Solution

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

It's kind of hard to determine what exactly is going on here. You've isolated the speakers (one with the amp built in, the other that plugs into that.) and still just the one speaker hums. Touching the heatsink on the speaker with the amp increases the hum/buzz.

Something inside has, or is, giving out would be my guess. Unless you got electronics skills (can work with the internal parts of the amp or its power supply) you might not have much of a choice but to replace it. You've tried about everything else.

We also have no reference to what brand and speakers you are using. Some may be worth fixing, and others are completely disposable. We can't tell with what you have provided us.