I have a Dynex 40" LCD. Picture is black, still see light and hear sounds?

TheP3rfectZer0

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
I have a Dynex 40" 40L261A1 LCD TV my mother bought for me back in November 2011'.
I looked on a YouTube video and they said it might be the inverter( I turned off all the lights in the room and used a flash light to see if I could see any pictures, but I couldn't) I can easily buy one for $10-20 on eBay. I just need to make sure if it's actually the inverter and not anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
Sorry.
It powers on, I can hear sounds, but the picture is black. It doesn't fade or anything. I can tell the T.V is on or off because I can still see light. I can't really explain it.
This happen this afternoon. This morning I turned the T.V on then went out (I know it's not good to leave electronic on when not in use, but my mom...long boring story)
When I came home, there was no picture, only the back light and sound.

silkspith

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Please elaborate on the problem you're having. Is it not powering on? Is it powering on but not showing picture? Does the picture fade away after a few seconds, or is it as you briefly stated, simply no picture with a backlight on? You highlighted your troubleshooting step, but please explain the issue so our community can better assist. Have you tried other inputs/cables?

silkspith

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Okay - before spending money on parts and tearing open your TV, try anything that you can to isolate it. If you've pressed the menu button and nothing comes up, we know it's internal rather than anything that could be external. From there, it's a bit like a mechanic troubleshooting "an unknown issue" - replace parts until you get the one that's causing the problem.

TheP3rfectZer0

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

I press the menu button and nothing comes up.
The T.V only has the backlight and the sounds. I even flashed a flashlight on it in a dark room and still couldn't see anything. A friend said that it might be a picture tube problem?

Thanks for your help so far.

TheP3rfectZer0

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Update: I spoke to a repair man and he said that it's not the inverter since the t.v still has sounds and the backlight is still working. He said it's either the Tcon or Motherboard.
He said it'll cost $150-300. I'm not going to pay that much while I have the tools plus sources to fix it.