I upgraded i3-3110m to a i7 3740qm and now my pc shuts down when gaming/stress test

Apr 3, 2018
Hello, I recently upgraded my cpu. Now it will shutdown in a matter of seconds awhile playing games or stress test and the temperature rises to 95-100c. I found that I can disable turbo boost in BIOS and I can play games and such but now I'm only getting 2.6ghz when it should be 3.7ghz (and is what I payed for)..

Solution
The others are probably right that you've exceeded the laptop's cooling capability. But before you give up, try cleaning out the cooler. Give it and the fan a good blast with compressed air to clear out any dust. Then try re-pasting, making sure you really squash it down to maximize metal-on-metal contact between the CPU and heatsink, before you screw it down.

To reduce the power consumption of an i7, you've actually got a second option. Usually there's a BIOS option to turn off hyperthreading (basically turn it into an i5 albeit with a larger L3 cache). I haven't found hyperthreading to be of much use outside of video encodes (and it reduces the occasional video stutters when watching YouTube under heavy load), while it raises my...

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
https://ark.intel.com/products/65700/Intel-Core-i3-3110M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_40-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/70847/Intel-Core-i7-3740QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz?q=3740qm

So you went from a 35W CPU to a 45W CPU and just assumed the heatsink could handle it? You paid for 3.7GHz, but if your system doesn't have the thermal headroom for it, which it doesn't if it's running 100C, then you only get the 2.6GHz you are seeing. As far as I can tell what's happening is perfectly normal. You put a new CPU in that runs hotter than your old one, and now you need to keep the new CPU clocked down so you don't get thermal issues. I really don't mean to be rude, but duh? Even if that laptop was offered with a 3740, it probably had a different cooler or beefed up fan to handle the increased temps. Perhaps a cooling pad can help?

Apr 3, 2018
I researched how the TDP would increase by 10W and then I saw someone else had a 45W CPU with the same processor & motherboard as me so I said f#%k it. Didn't really factor in that my heatsink wouldn't be able to handle the new heat.. also tried updating the CPU by downloading from Intel then when I check in the device manager it's still the same version from 2009.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I would just put the i3 back in as the cooling simply cannot handle the new cpu. The slight performance gain you might get from leaving the i7 in at slower speeds is going to be diminished by the constant problems of unstable operation.

Apr 3, 2018
Okay, I think I'll do that.. I still do need a new CPU since my i3 is really old and can't keep up with modern activities.. Do you have any recommendations on which CPU I should trade this one for in the G2 Socket tree?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
He can leave the i7 in there. There is a bump in core count and a slight bump in clock speed seeing as the i3 doesn't turbo. Depending on the bios he might be able to get the i7 to clock a bit higher than the 2.6GHz it's running at. He might be able to get it to boost to 3GHz or so which is between the 2.6GHz he has now and the 3.7GHz he was hoping for. It really depends on how locked that bios is. I think he was just hoping for doubling the cores and gaining all that frequency. Lower the expectations a bit and it should still be an increase.

The others are probably right that you've exceeded the laptop's cooling capability. But before you give up, try cleaning out the cooler. Give it and the fan a good blast with compressed air to clear out any dust. Then try re-pasting, making sure you really squash it down to maximize metal-on-metal contact between the CPU and heatsink, before you screw it down.

To reduce the power consumption of an i7, you've actually got a second option. Usually there's a BIOS option to turn off hyperthreading (basically turn it into an i5 albeit with a larger L3 cache). I haven't found hyperthreading to be of much use outside of video encodes (and it reduces the occasional video stutters when watching YouTube under heavy load), while it raises my temps an extra 10C or so. So I usually run with it off on my laptop to reduce heat. You can also disable Turbo Boost within Windows. Power options -> (power plan setting) -> advanced -> Processor power management -> Maximum power state. Setting it to 99% disables Turbo Boost.

Reactions: AverageGeek07
Solution