Insert Boot Device?

cdowd9556

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014
Hey guys, i bought a win 8 toshiba laptop a little while ago and i powered it on one day to see:
Reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media into selected device and press a key.
Now, I have a win 7 disk that i used on my desktop i built, but when i put it in and press a key, i get an error box. I am worried because i can't seem to open the boot menu on startup by pressing f12 or f2 or f8 or 0.

Thanks!

Solution
seems your hdd/ssd is either faulty or not connected correctly to your laptop
when you reboot you should get a screen showing you what to press for boot menu/bios
if you cant access bios try this: power the laptop and hold ESC for about 5 sec and then release it. After this press F1 when you are prompted and you should enter bios. Once in see if you have your HD listed

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
seems your hdd/ssd is either faulty or not connected correctly to your laptop
when you reboot you should get a screen showing you what to press for boot menu/bios
if you cant access bios try this: power the laptop and hold ESC for about 5 sec and then release it. After this press F1 when you are prompted and you should enter bios. Once in see if you have your HD listed

Solution

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

The OP said he couldn't open the BIOS so it's probably not a HDD problem.

OP: Could be the same problem that a ZDNet writer was having: http://www.zdnet.com/article/building-a-pre-release-linux-testbed-with-opensuse-fedora-ubuntu-and-more/

Put a fresh HDD in and try to boot from the WIn7 disk. Once my HDD self locked itself (ENTER HDD/SSD PASSWORD) and I couldn't even get into the BIOS. So try a new HDD and boot from the Win7 disk.

Also: Have you enabled CSM/Legacy boot? That could be part of the problem where legacy BIOS doesn't recognize UEFI boot..