Is it possible to instal linux on sun virtual box from a usb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
So recently learned and been using my usb drive to flash disk images onto it to use instead of cd's or dvd's So today i just thought for the heck of it. I would get to install Linux on a virtual machine just to mess around with it. But when i got through the set up of sun virtualbox and started up the virtual system i came to realize that it's doesn't natively support usb drives for installation. So i was wondering if there was a way to get around this. I briefly read that you could somehow make a usb drive act as a hard drive for you virtual machine, and maybe i could simply copy the OS over to it. Or is there maybe a way to trick the windows into thinking that a usb drive is actually a cd drive. I'm probably talking total nonsense, but any suggestion would be cool.

ohh and yes i know that i could just get a cd lol, but where the opprotunity to learn more about computers :kaola:

Solution
I've just tried that on my system and it works fine. You may need to put a space after "rawdisk" so that it reads "-rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1".

(Edit: Without the space I get the same error!)

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Ok so i followed the instruction on that link you gave me. I Checked the disk number and it's disk one but the command line keeps telling me Syntax error Invalid Parameters ' -rawdisk\\.\PhysicalDrive1' so i'm alittle confused because i feel that i put in the right parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.