Is it safe to apply thermal paste to a laptop CPU(Dell Latitude E6400)

parmpreet001

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I watched a video on how to replace the CPU of a E6400 in order to figure out how easy it is to access the CPU, it seems all i gotta do is remove the heat sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYVWVieailQ

I installed thermal paste on desktop CPUs, but I'm not sure if you can use them for laptops. So I'm wondering if it's safe to apply thermal paste to this laptop CPU as I do with desktops.

Solution
Hi,

Yes, I did that to my laptop and it works fine. Now the question if your laptop does not heat too much then no point of doing that. As opening the laptop is not an easy thing neither put things together. I mean you might break something or loose something or leave some scratches so you will need to take care while doing that.

Regards,

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

Yes, I did that to my laptop and it works fine. Now the question if your laptop does not heat too much then no point of doing that. As opening the laptop is not an easy thing neither put things together. I mean you might break something or loose something or leave some scratches so you will need to take care while doing that.

Regards,

Solution