Kafufflez

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hey,
Need the help of the handsome basking sharks of Tom's Hardware ;)

So I'm doing a photography course in college.. I thought it would be a good idea to give my old camera to homeless Indonesian orphans in our town for Hanukkah.

So I'm buying a new one but needed to know if this camera would do the trick: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t34.0-12/12077022_986825754707603_1529372602_n.jpg?oh=257be84ec1955190cff4f0615dcc6913&oe=56174E86
OR THIS:
http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2456425/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON.htm

I just need all the basic camera settings like the abillity to change the shutter speed,depth of field,ios,(and everything else you'd need to learn in a photography course!) + does it come with a lens? and if it doesn't could you recommend some cameras that can (preferably on the Irish high streets.. can't really wait that long, I have an assignment coming up! :(

I'll be impatiently awaiting your response :)

Solution
If you are serious about taking on photography, I would suggest going with a used entry level SLR with kit lens (~18-55). Bridge cameras are fine, but you'll get annoyed when changing settings like aperture and shutter speed without actual hardware buttons for them.
If you are serious about taking on photography, I would suggest going with a used entry level SLR with kit lens (~18-55). Bridge cameras are fine, but you'll get annoyed when changing settings like aperture and shutter speed without actual hardware buttons for them.

Solution

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Bridge cameras are basically compact cameras with longer focal lengths (zoom range). Both come with a lens which isn't interchangeable and neither will allow for much creativity.

Have you considered a used dSLR? For a similar price you could get a Nikon D80, but then you'd need a lens to go with it. Ultimately however, if you want to get into photography, particularly for the creativity, that would be the way to go.