TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey!

My laptop has a Nvidia GT 540M (I know it's bad, but..) and an Intel Core i7 processor; however, when I'm playing Indie Games it lags.. a lot. This is on the lowest settings, by the way.

I looked on DxDiag and under Display - Device, it shows Intel Integrated Graphics - there is no GT 540M to be seen at all.

I can still use the Nvidia Control Panel and it looks like it is working, but why is it not showing up on DxDiag and why am I getting staggering low frames?

Any help is appreciated, thank you all in advance!

Solution
Under the programs tab select the game.

Under that it will give the option of using the auto settings, high performance nivida card or the igpu. Select the high performance nivida card.

TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Samsung RF711

Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

My drivers apparently haven't been updated since 2006/11 so I've updated them to the latest.

TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Nvidia Control Panel says that all games are now using my Graphics Card, so that's good! But why does DxDiag still say that the GPU is the Intel Integrated?

Try changing the setting from auto which I assume it picks the dgpu to the dgpu option. This will force it to use the gpu and not switch inbetween

TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Which setting?

Under the programs tab select the game.

Under that it will give the option of using the auto settings, high performance nivida card or the igpu. Select the high performance nivida card.

Solution

TheJJBman11

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Ah! Thank you, I've done that now