Laptop has been very hot lately. CPU is consistently 90-105 degrees Celsius and isn't due to dust.

PrettyDancer101

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
Warning: I am not good with technology lingo so please don't make it too complex.

So for a while now, my laptop has been running very hot. 90-105 degrees Celsius when just browsing the internet. If I ever dare attempt to play my video games anymore it usually overheats and shuts down. We thought the issue was dust so we took it to geek squad today to get it cleaned out and they got all the dust out of the laptop and told me that the fans were in fact working. They said the temperature should be lower but that is not the case. It is just as bad as it has been for a while. So now we know the issue isn't due to dust or my fans, which is good I suppose. The problem is that I have no other ideas as to why this is happening. I was so desperate yesterday that I even got a $50 laptop cooling fan to attempt to fix the issue. It has done nothing to my temperatures. It is the same with it on as it is without. I am completely confused and very frustrated at the situation. I cannot afford a new laptop so I am doing whatever it takes to save this one from frying to death

Additional information: The laptop is a HP ENVY m6 (beats audio edition..?) which I got in December of 2012.

Solution
well, first off I think Best Buy's Geek Squad does more damage to machines than they do good.

Try finding an independent, local tech. Have him take the machine apart to blow the dust out. While in there, have him remove the heatsink on the CPU, clean it, re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

That is the only sequence of events that may help. If that doesn't help, you are in the same position as someone that can't swim and that is dropped in the middle of the ocean.

Karsten75

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
well, first off I think Best Buy's Geek Squad does more damage to machines than they do good.

Try finding an independent, local tech. Have him take the machine apart to blow the dust out. While in there, have him remove the heatsink on the CPU, clean it, re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

That is the only sequence of events that may help. If that doesn't help, you are in the same position as someone that can't swim and that is dropped in the middle of the ocean.

Solution

Murilo CMF

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
Do everything Karsten said, and if it does not solve, never buy HP laptop again.

HP sucks, I had a laptop fried in the middle of a business work.

Customer was angry, I was nervous, lost 3 days of work, had to buy a new laptop quickly, transfered all data (Was not in warranty anymore)...

1 and a half year only with HP and it fried...

Ever since I always go with ASUS.

I'm using ASUS G75V (Gamer Series) for programming, heavy stuff, the fans are amazing, 2 years now, and the temperatures still around 70 degrees. When I bought, temps were around 45-50 idle.

I'm planning for a repaste soon, which will bring the temps back to the stock...

Get a gamer laptop and you will never regret.

ASUS G75V

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/