Laptop won't turn on after adding SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2018
Hi there,

I have an Acer E15 E5 575 5476 with a 1TB HDD in it. I recently bought a Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 and installed it with the HDD still in there using this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzYePaxunAI

Installed it but the laptop won't turn on. Take out the SSD and laptop turns on just fine. Any advice on what the problem might be? I checked on Crucial's website and it said this SSD is compatible with my computer so not sure what the problem is. This is the first time I've tried adding an SSD.

Thanks

Solution
There are a lot of variants in M.2 SSD brand, size and working interface (PCIe or Sata) compatibility within your Acer laptop model line, with no clear specs from Acer for each model, your best bet is to try a smaller M.2 Sata SSD (256GB) or a different brand 500 GB one. Many threads about this issue on Acer support forum.

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
- Do you mean your laptop doesn't boot = system doesn't load while laptop turns on with boot POST, or laptop does not power on at all, or powers on but no display on screen?
- Did you mount your SSD attached with screw on a mounted stand off? (otherwise without stand off it could be coming in contact with motherboard and shorting it).

Jun 17, 2018

It does not power on at all. Yes it has a mounted stand off. Basically it looks exactly like the one in the video

Jun 17, 2018

Hi there, I did update it but it's still not turning on when installing the M2
Thanks

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
There are a lot of variants in M.2 SSD brand, size and working interface (PCIe or Sata) compatibility within your Acer laptop model line, with no clear specs from Acer for each model, your best bet is to try a smaller M.2 Sata SSD (256GB) or a different brand 500 GB one. Many threads about this issue on Acer support forum.

Solution
Jun 17, 2018

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try the 256GB one. Could I ask how a smaller GB SSD could make a difference?

Aug 16, 2018
I had the same problem with my laptop (Acer F15 573G) and SSD (Crucial MX500 250GB SATA M.2). After trying an NVME SSD (Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2), the laptop booted up and the SSD was recognized in the bios right away. Maybe the slot only supports NVME ssds

Status
Not open for further replies.