Laptop Won't Turn On-ish (Fan, Some lights)

Mar 22, 2018
My Asus x550jx (8GB RAM) powers on (its battery and charging light turn on) but i hear nothing and see nothing but a black screen. The fan turns on after a while. The caps lock and num lock lights flash every 5 secs. I don't have an extra monitor, just an extra laptop. I have some VGA cables but don't know how to diagnose with those using another laptop. Plugging in an external hard drive (just to see) leads its light to flash every few seconds.

Please help me.

Solution
download latest bios for your exact model from here : https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X550JX/HelpDesk_BIOS/
get usbstick (less size the better), extract rar file and you should get something like X550JXAS.204 file. Rename that to X550JX.bin
move that to usb stick (must be otherwise empty)

plug in your usb to motherboar usb slot(no usb extended board slots) and press CTRL + HOME keys just hold them, with another hand press power button and keep holding CTRL+HOME. You should get to recovery state atleast that means fan full speed and led activity. If flash however fails (wait for atleast 5-10mins if you see activity) then unplug and rename the file to X550JXAS.bin and try same method again. If these keys wont get you to recovery state...
Sounds like an issue with the motherboard. If you have two sticks of RAM test with one stick at a time, or try different RAM. If the system has a removable CMOS battery, remove it, remove the battery and hold in the power button for about 30 seconds. With the CMOS battery still out, connect to wall power and see if it turns on. If it does, plug in the battery and see if it turns on normally now.

Mar 22, 2018

The unit turns on with no CMOS battery, but same issues arise (however the num lock stays on for a bit longer before turning off and then switching on an off periodically). Nothing else worked. Am I done for?

If you remove all RAM does the system beep? If not, it's pretty much guaranteed it's a bad motherboard, maybe CPU.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
download latest bios for your exact model from here : https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/X550JX/HelpDesk_BIOS/
get usbstick (less size the better), extract rar file and you should get something like X550JXAS.204 file. Rename that to X550JX.bin
move that to usb stick (must be otherwise empty)

plug in your usb to motherboar usb slot(no usb extended board slots) and press CTRL + HOME keys just hold them, with another hand press power button and keep holding CTRL+HOME. You should get to recovery state atleast that means fan full speed and led activity. If flash however fails (wait for atleast 5-10mins if you see activity) then unplug and rename the file to X550JXAS.bin and try same method again. If these keys wont get you to recovery state try something you find off google for this model and try different usb sticks

Solution