greenscreen1

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hello,

I was hoping somebody could help me diagnose what I suspect may be an LCD problem.

I have had my Lenovo G710 for around two and a half years now, and in terms of speed, reliability etc. it has worked perfectly, in part due to me upgrading the RAM and HDD to an SSD around a year ago.

Over the past 3-4 months, I've been experiencing a strange pink/green flickering when I wake the laptop up from sleep/standby, or when I turn the screen back on when it has switched itself off due to being on battery.

To use the below images to illustrate, what happens is the screen starts at Image 1, stays this way for 5-10 seconds, then moves to Image 2, and then the Green slowly moves down the laptop until it reaches the taskbar, at which time the screen then reverts to normal. All in all, the 'problem' lasts for around 30 seconds.

Image 1: http://i.imgur.com/u8fSp88.jpg
Image 2: http://i.imgur.com/MxHjZcE.jpg

It is probably important that, unlike some other threads I have seen on Tom's Guide and elsewhere, this does not happen if I am actively using the laptop. I can use it for 4-6 hours on end and it will be perfectly fine.

However, as soon as I leave it inactive long enough for the screen to go off (or when I enter standby), this will happen on every occasion.

Ultimately, it's not the end of the world, because as I mentioned above, it only lasts for about 30 seconds, and then I can use it as normal, but obviously I'd rather fix this if I can.

I don't think this is a software problem as I've reformatted (and so re-installed drivers) on 2 separate occasions for unrelated reasons in the past 4 months and the problem has continued, so I suspect it's something to do with the hardware.

I would much appreciate any suggestions as to what could be causing this and/or potential fixes.

Many thanks for any help.

Josh

greenscreen1

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
I hope double posting isn't against the rules, but just to add some further info following a reply on a different forum:

I hooked the laptop up externally via HDMI, and whilst the issue persisted on the laptop when leaving standby, the issue did not show on the TV.

However, strangely, the issue was no where near as bad as it usually would be with the laptop booting from standby already hooked up to the HDMI, compared to what it is like when I just boot it up normally (as in Images 1 and 2 in original post).

I would appreciate any advice anybody could give as to what could be causing this.