Lenovo Ideapad grinding

M_____

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
Hey guys, new here.
I got a Lenovo Idepad 100-15 IBD two weeks ago and this Sunday, I noticed this low, inconstant grinding sound overlapped with another one, like CD being read in short bursts. I tried checking the optical drive and I don't think it's from that. The laptop itself works okay, though I think the temperatures are a bit higher now (it reaches 46C when scanning the drive). I ran an error scan with HD Tune Pro and it shows nothing wrong. It's just bugging me and I'm fearing it's from the hard disk.
Also, the same day I upgraded to Windows 10, but I remember hearing them beforehand, I think.
The disk is an ST500LT012-1DG142 500 Gb. I hope that's the one
The processor is an i3 5005u 2 cores 2.00 Ghz
Let me know it there's more information I could provide.
This is the sound in question but I don't think the short CD-like burst can be heard.It's barely audible. Sorry for the quality.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0c1ZSxKogI5

Solution
Hi,

There are few things that can cause that sound in a laptop. First would be the fans, you can clean them out first and apply a new thermal paste. Second would be mechanical sound from the HDD, specially a grinding sound it would only be the HDD and the DVD drive but it's out of the question as you mentioned that you've checked it already. I would suggest to consider replacing the HDD already.
Hi,

There are few things that can cause that sound in a laptop. First would be the fans, you can clean them out first and apply a new thermal paste. Second would be mechanical sound from the HDD, specially a grinding sound it would only be the HDD and the DVD drive but it's out of the question as you mentioned that you've checked it already. I would suggest to consider replacing the HDD already.

Solution

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there M_____,

The first thing you may want to do is to just back up the data stored on the drive until you sort this out.
After that, you can just get a SATA to USB cable and attach the drive to another system. If it is the drive that makes the grinding sound, then you will need to replace it. Just RMA it if under warranty.
If the drive makes no noise when attached to the other system, then I guess a fan could be causing the noise.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

TRENDING THREADS