Listen audio on laptop speakers without unplugging headphones.

rk3v

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Any Idea how to Listen audio on laptop speakers without unplugging headphones on Windows 8.1 ? So that i dont have to disconnect the headphones connected to my Laptop headphone jack at all (Currently i have to disconnect my headphone fromt he Laptop Audio Jack, whenever i want to listen Music through the Laptop Speakers)
What i tried to make this work unsuccessfully is : 'Playback devices option' - Tried to make one device as 'Default'. But didint work. also i have noticed that when i have conencted my headphone and music is playing thr the hedphone, i jsut press 'test' of my 'headphone' icon, then till the test was getting completed (5 sec) the music player thr the laptop speaker, but as soon as the test got over the music start palying again thr the headphone. any healp would be haihgly apprecaited. Tks

Solution
The above suggestion won't work for you unless you use a USB headset, that is why it shows up as a different audio device. USB and regular headphone connections are seen differently. It's a lot easier to just unplug the headphones unless the sound drivers have an option to leave the speakers working when the headphones are plugged in.

dryernoke

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
You need to disable whichever device you don't want to use. So say you want to use your speakers, disable your headphones in your audio properties and set your speakers as the default device. And yes, you will need to do this everytime you want to change what device you may or may not want to use. It's kind of a pain, but i have to do it all the time when i want to use Optical for my receiver for my surround sound, or i want to use my USB headset that is connected to my PC. It will only work if the device is fully disabled in sound properties.

rk3v

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

Tks for your Rsponse. But i have tried this already, but didnt work.
# i can find 'speakers' & 'headphone' icons on my sounds settings.
# Currently 'Speaker' is set as 'default device', but still when i connect the headphone, then its playing thr headphone by default
# When i right click on Headphone and select 'set as default device' , its not changing at all. So i cannot make headphone as default device
# When i disable the 'Speaker', then i am not able to hear music neither through headphone nor thr Speaker

The above suggestion won't work for you unless you use a USB headset, that is why it shows up as a different audio device. USB and regular headphone connections are seen differently. It's a lot easier to just unplug the headphones unless the sound drivers have an option to leave the speakers working when the headphones are plugged in.

Solution

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
On most laptops except for some high end ones(such as Mac laptops) the circuitry to switch from speaker to headphones when you plug headphones in, is hard wired in and impossible to change. This however you can do: If you buy a USB sound card and plug your headphones into that, while leaving the headphone jack on your laptop open, you can switch between internal audio and sound card on the fly with no problems, However, I fail to understand why you would want to accomplish this.

TRENDING THREADS