Logitech C920 webcam software won't install in my Win10

May 7, 2018
I bought the Logitech C920 webcam and it states on the box that it is Windows 10 compatible. However, in trying to install the latest Logitech download of their software named lws280.exe (version 2.80.853.0 and dated in 2012) I get the following error message:
"NSIS Error. Error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid."

I have a PC with Windows 10 64-bit and it's up to date with upgrades, etc. Exactly where on my hard drive is my "temp folder"? What is it named?

By the way, when I plugged in this webcam to the USB Windows recognized and installed it. It works with various online places like Skype. But, I want the Logitech software so that I can zoom in/out, record pics and video, etc.

gardenman

Commendable
Herald
Jun 16, 2016
Hi, here are a few things you can try:

This is sometimes caused by malware or a virus installed on your system. Download the free version of [Malwarebytes] and do a full scan with it.

This can also be caused by anit-virus software. Try temporarily disabling it while installing lws280.exe.

Clear all temp internet files (cache) and re-download the setup again, it could be corrupt.

Try placing the setup file in the Temp folder that it is complaining about. Press Win+R to open the Run dialog and type this in: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
It should open a Temp folder. Place the Setup file there and run it. If you get an error trying to open the folder you may need to create it, let me know and we'll figure that out.

Lastly, an NSIS error can be caused by a Nullsoft Setup file. Assuming that Logitech used the Nullsoft Setup software, then this page might help: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Why_do_I_get_NSIS_Error There's 12 things there to try (a few of them already listed here).

If one of these work, write back and let everyone know which one worked. If not, give details and maybe someone else can help. Additional answers from anyone else welcome.

Oct 10, 2018
It usually happens when the windows temp folders have been changed.

Go to windows explorer

Right Click on "THIS PC"

Click Properties
Click Advanced System Setting on the Left
Click Environment Variables

Under user Variable the TEMP/TMP folders should say this " %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Temp "
if not change to that

Then check below under system variables TEMP/TMP Folders

should read in both " C:\WINDOWS\TEMP "

if it doesnt change it to that.

That should solve your issue.

Good luck

EP000001

Commendable
May 10, 2016
The error "NSIS Error. Error writing temporary file" could be cause by an intercept by Antivirus software accessing the temp install file.

Make sure you also run the install software as administrator.

Also make sure you disable antivirus and then turn it back on when installed.

Also check to make sure enough HDD space is available.

If all the above fails check the link below...

https://sourceforge.net/p/nsis/bugs/942/