logitech g430 vs g230 - Is virtual 7.1 surround by the usb adapter worth it ?

DragonRi

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a headset and am kind of leaning toward either g430 or g230

Thing is after going through the detail specs, it seems the color and the extra usb sound card adapter is only difference between the two.

I was thinking that since the 7.1 is simulated anyway, is g430 worth the extra $15-20 (depending on the deal)

I have a gigabyte z97x sli motherboard (not sure if it can virtualize 7.1 on headphone though)

My build is red in color so that is also one of the reasons I was seeing if the headset can match it.

Do you guys think plantronics gamecon 780 is a better option ? (It doesn't have a 3.5mm so I was avoiding it but is the audio and mic quality difference significant ?)

I will be using for gaming and skype mainly and little recording sometimes.

Solution

the mobo should be able to do a passing job for it but i got the sound card because 1. i had an old mobo (like AM2+ DDR2) 2. i needed to plug it into the front usb port in my computer

glitchmaster0001

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
honestly i own the g230 and all i did was bought a external usb sound card for it and the sound and performance was exactly like the g430. its just a marketing trick to fool you id say get the g230 and get a usb sound card. they are very cheap like $7

DragonRi

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

thanks for the quick reply. Do you think virtual surround is worth in games or the motherboard can do a decent job instead of a separate usb sound card

glitchmaster0001

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015

the mobo should be able to do a passing job for it but i got the sound card because 1. i had an old mobo (like AM2+ DDR2) 2. i needed to plug it into the front usb port in my computer

Solution