looking to buy a laptop for college, narrowed it down to 2 options

Sapir Malka

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
the use for the laptop is gonna be mostly school work, web browsing and such,
i narrowed it down to 2 options within my budget.

Dell vostro 5468 14inch
specs:
i5-7200U
256GB SSD
8Gb ddr4 ram
nvidia 940mx

Lenovo 510s-14
same specs, but integrated graphics (HD graphics 620)

the vostro costs me ~75$
those are the 2 best options available to me from local shops and i cant order online.

question is, is the vostro worth the extra money, considering the screen is LED 1366x768
vs lenovo's FHD 1920x1080 ips display

i couldnt find any decent reviews on the vostro and very few reviews on the lenovo.
so i hope you guys could have more insight.

Solution
Hello, Sapir:

For your stated needs an HD 620 IGP is going to be more than enough. And I agree with Max1s that you're going to appreciate the 2K IPS screen for everyday use.

I have a Lenovo Y50, which can be seen as the 'granddaddy' of the current Ideapad 500 generation, and there are still some similarities. Build quality isn't the best you'll come across, but it is above average. Heat remains an issue with most Ideapad devices, especially when they try to be gaming machines - i.e. fitted with 2GB or 4GB GPUs. Lenovo still needs to learn how to optimize the chassis to handle the heat generated by the GPU. Battery life is listed at 5 hours, which isn't too impressive, and it weighs 2.2 kg. For a 14" device that's not too impressive...

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
1366x768 is basically going to make it impossible to look at more than one program/webpage at once. If you are going to be doing lots of school work involving multiple documents I would go for a high resolution screen. That being said, I can recommend just buying an external monitor and having that plugged into the laptop at your desk.

Sapir Malka

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
when im at my desk i would have my pc available so theres no problem there.
but if 1366x768 should be a deal breaker i guess id go with the 510s-14

do you have any idea regarding that model? in terms of build quality, battery life and such?

Hello, Sapir:

For your stated needs an HD 620 IGP is going to be more than enough. And I agree with Max1s that you're going to appreciate the 2K IPS screen for everyday use.

I have a Lenovo Y50, which can be seen as the 'granddaddy' of the current Ideapad 500 generation, and there are still some similarities. Build quality isn't the best you'll come across, but it is above average. Heat remains an issue with most Ideapad devices, especially when they try to be gaming machines - i.e. fitted with 2GB or 4GB GPUs. Lenovo still needs to learn how to optimize the chassis to handle the heat generated by the GPU. Battery life is listed at 5 hours, which isn't too impressive, and it weighs 2.2 kg. For a 14" device that's not too impressive, either.

But absent any dedicated GPU (like your 510s), the Ideapad is likely to perform at average levels in terms of heat and noise. And the 510s is definitely better-looking than my 'old' Y50.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution