Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I use Firefox a lot, however I opened so many tabs that Firefox can become unresponsive for 5 second intervals often. I know close tabs but I need to look through them first and I usually don't have time to get around that.

I'm using a 32-bit OS and I have three gigs of RAM, Firefox will take a bow 1.2 GB whenever it starts to lock itself up.
I use other RAM intensive programs, every now and then I have to reset them because they started to hit the 3 GB mark, I'll reset them and then assist my system will only use up 2 GB
However when I use an alternative like chrome I can open 20 tabs and go way over and have to reset my computer, I'm wondering if there is a less resource intensive Internet browser that functions kind of like Firefox or chrome that would be a worthwhile replacement for chrome.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The problem isn't the browser itself, its the fact that you're opening so many tabs at one time. You're not going to find a browser that allows you to open 20+ websites and not require a large amount of resources, resulting sometimes in a freeze/system crash.

It doesn't take a large amount of effort to move your mouse a few centimeters and click an X on a few tabs...especially if its the difference between your computer working or crashing.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
yeah I know but going through teacher tabs than figuring out what to do and then working off of each of those tabs could take me a good week, Firefox is able open up about 500 to 700 tabs, before it starts to freeze up, but it never completely crashes it just becomes unusable for 5 seconds it gives you 3 seconds to use it and it becomes unusable for another 5 seconds in a cycle that repeats itself.

Chrome I can open up 20 browsers and it takes up between one to 2 GB, even if I close the ones that use up the most amount of space it will completely go away unless the exit chrome and then reopen everything

What I want to know is if there's a browser that can come between Firefox opening 700 tabs and still only take up about 1 GB of space and chrome which while it works fairly good can't open many tabs.

Anistemi

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Hi Alidan,

Was wondering whether you have been able to find an alternative to FireFox, and if so, which browser you have finally settled on/

Many thanks,
Anistmie

Status
Not open for further replies.