Magnavox MDR513H/F7 with Cox mini digital box

Kathy_54

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I installed the Cox mini digital box a couple of weeks ago as part of their all digital conversion. I have been trying off an on every since to connect my Magnavox DVR without any success. I am pretty sure I have it connected correctly as I am able to connect a Sony DVD?VHS combo and it works fine (other than the poor recording and audio issues that only began after installing the mini box). When I connect the DVR, with the DVR and TV channel set to 3 as instructed by cox, I am getting no playback picture nor can I play a movie. I can see the countdown change on the DVR display but there is nothing shown on the TV. I cannot access any of the DVR functions using the DVR remote - it is as if it is non-existent even though it appears the cable input is working since I am able to use TV remote and change channels using mini box remote. Just cannot get anything from the DVR. I cannot afford to pay Cox the $20+ more a month they want for their DVR and service so I would greatly appreciate any guidance that could be provided. I am not sure if it is a Cox encryption issue or a DVR issue.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution
Not sure of what connections you have on the DVR or TV but in general this is how I would connect your gear.
1. Cox mini box to TV with HDMI (this will give you HD picture for viewing if you TV is HD)
2. Cox mini box RF output split to connect to the RF input of both the DVD/VHS and DVR RF inputs (both set to channel 3).
3. Connect the AV out of both to the TV for playback.
You can now watch HDTV by selecting the HDMI input you connected the minibox to. You can also record whatever channel the minibox is set to play on either DVR or DVD/VHS. You can watch either by selecting the correct input of the TV. You can't watch one thing and record another at the same time. If you want to record something you can set that channel on the minibox...
Not sure of what connections you have on the DVR or TV but in general this is how I would connect your gear.
1. Cox mini box to TV with HDMI (this will give you HD picture for viewing if you TV is HD)
2. Cox mini box RF output split to connect to the RF input of both the DVD/VHS and DVR RF inputs (both set to channel 3).
3. Connect the AV out of both to the TV for playback.
You can now watch HDTV by selecting the HDMI input you connected the minibox to. You can also record whatever channel the minibox is set to play on either DVR or DVD/VHS. You can watch either by selecting the correct input of the TV. You can't watch one thing and record another at the same time. If you want to record something you can set that channel on the minibox and set the timer to record the program that is set to on channel three of the recorder.

Solution

Kathy_54

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I was finally able to get it to work by adding the yellow/white/red connections! Still don't understand why my DVD/VHS combo, which is older than the DVR, works fine using cable only yet the DVR required the Y/W/R connections. Thankful that it is working.

americanaudiophile thank you so much for your input. You are appreciated!