Migrating to Ubuntu (from windows) and I have some inquiries

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Planning to go to linux OS (ubuntu distro) as this is what most claim as "easy transition" from windows to the linux operating system however I'm not sure if my laptop (an acer aspire 7730G) is compatible as I checked acers driver support and linux isn't listed at all :( and I was hoping someone could help or atleast point me in the right direction

now the reason I'm moving to linux (if your interested in the motive) is that there were some reviews regarding linux's new kernels (dunno what that is) that said that it somehow "increased" performance and I am hoping I could also tap that as most games I play either have a linux version or is already being tested on linux (beta)

avenseth12

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
That move could be a disaster for you. I you plan to play games, most are not available or the ones that are dont work well in Linux. Linux is fun to have as a dual boot OS but as your primary to play games, I dont think is a good idea.

Many drivers are produced and supported by the Linux community/developers of the distro. You won't see major OEMs providing Linux drivers. Since manufacturers are partnered with Microsoft (in a sense), it's in their business interest to provide drivers for Windows─especially since the vast majority of the market consists of Windows users.

I think your motive may be a bit misdirected, though. Linux in general is regarded as a more efficient and faster operating system, but the apparent difference between Ubuntu and whatever version of Windows you're currently running will be little to none.

If you're really apt to give it a shot, then download Ubuntu and run it from a live USB drive. Play around with it and see what you think. If you like it enough to give it a more serious trial, then install it alongside Windows (NOT in lieu of Windows) and give yourself enough space in the Linux partition to install a couple of games, then test from there.

Throw caution to the wind: Windows is generally ideal for gaming, not out of compatibility alone, but because most developers optimize their games for a Windows platform. Linux doesn't have things like DirectX, which is a major component in Windows gaming.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

im not saying im using it as a gaming machine (my fault for setting my situation to be this way) however the two games that I frequently play that is on steam namely "Dota 2" and Mount and Blade Warband (though still in beta) runs "natively" on linux (no need for WINE) the reason also for the sudden "urge" to linux is to try out the hearsay about the "good performance" the old computer hardwares are experiencing and they even get some boosts of sorts (from what I read from various forums) and also to confine myself to student life (as linux SEVERELY limits the number of games that I can play)

here's the site that kinda confirmed that those games I play are running "just fine" in linux
http://steamdb.info/linux/

tank you for the reply though :):):)

so simply put ubuntu provides the drivers from what I understand? and also I did played around with it a bit before (almost one year now and had it run from VMware) and install backtrack 5 (now "KALI" as it was picked up by another person/group) and liked it (didn't liked the usual command prompt style of use though) the reason also for me picking up linux is to try it out and seriously curb my gaming since two games namely dota 2 runs natively and mount and blade warband also runs natively (though still in beta) and I'm just contented with those the rest of the games I play are browser based games (flash)

thats not to mention the "free" productivity tools ;););)

here's the site that kinda confirmed that those games I play are running "just fine" in linux
http://steamdb.info/linux/

and also thank you for the thought and reply

As long as it fits your needs, then by all means, go for it! Compatibility concerns are becoming less prevalent with Linux since it is growing in market penetration (while Windows has lost some of the market). You may hit some bumps along the way, still.

And yes, drivers are developed and produced by distro developers (in this case, Canonical provides some and pulls others from a Linux repository and adds them to Ubuntu, to the best of my understanding).

I still don't think you'll benefit from the hearsay performance speculation, but you might be happier with Linux as an OS in general.

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013

to clarify the drivers are already IN the ubuntu installation package then no need to download drivers of any sort? (graphic,sound,wireless lan,etc drivers then?

if nothing else thanks for the time replying to this small thread of mine :)

Pretty much, yes. Just like how Windows has native drivers for certain things and installs them upon Windows installation, Linux will do the same. Additional drivers can be obtained from the repository. :)