TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I'm looking into buying a new laptop for school, mostly just word processing, and some slight computing applications for projects.

I've been out of the loop with the mobile processors for a few years now, and am looking for some expertise on the subject.

I found THIS LAPTOP for what looks like a good deal for what i need.

When i progressed up in price, the CPU frequencies dropped, and the prices increased.
I couldn't make much sense of it, and my research isn't helping.

Is the Baytrail-M N2830 CPU an outdated one?

And what should i be looking for in the terms of small mobile CPUs?

--Thanks as always!

Solution
Baytrail-M are current generation Atom CPUs. They are budget oriented CPUs that are designed for tablets and entry level laptops. They are fine for word processing, interest surfing, watching videos and other non-intensive applications.

"Slight computing applications for projects," is too vague to know what you are talking about so the laptop might be adequate or it might simply chug along slowly.

It's kinda hard to gauge the performance of the CPU itself since I am not really familiar with Intel's budget CPU. I would say it may be equivalent to a Core 2 Duo running at 1.6GHz which is in the rough ballpark of a Haswell generation Penitum dual core CPU running at about 1.1GHz.

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks. I went ahead and purchased it, figuring it was a low risk item being that it is only $250.
And I added a 256GB SSD to hopefully help with the speed and battery life a bit.

Are there better dual or quad core CPUs out there that aren't the obvious choice- the i3 or i7 -?

Baytrail-M are current generation Atom CPUs. They are budget oriented CPUs that are designed for tablets and entry level laptops. They are fine for word processing, interest surfing, watching videos and other non-intensive applications.

"Slight computing applications for projects," is too vague to know what you are talking about so the laptop might be adequate or it might simply chug along slowly.

It's kinda hard to gauge the performance of the CPU itself since I am not really familiar with Intel's budget CPU. I would say it may be equivalent to a Core 2 Duo running at 1.6GHz which is in the rough ballpark of a Haswell generation Penitum dual core CPU running at about 1.1GHz.

Solution

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

That makes sense.
I had a Core 2 Duo years ago, so i can gauge it on that.
I'm just so out of touch with the laptop world!

What i meant by computing applications for projects is, i'm an IT student now, and am writing scripts for SQL server, apps made in Visual Studio, and other IDEs.

Thanks for the reply.
Now I think I know what to expect.