Monitor always on sleep mode with hdmi cable

Nov 9, 2018
hi,
yesterday a bought a new samsung monitor (24" FHD Monitor SF350 ) and a 10 m hdmi cable (Valueline HDMI 1.4). The problem is that when I connect my laptop to the monitor with the cable, the monitor automaticaly goes into sleep mode. I have tried 2 more hdmi cables( 2 m. each) and they work fine. At first I thoght that the hdmi cable is not working but i tried it in another monitor and it seemed to be working. Does someone knows what the problem is? It seems very weird. My laptop has nvidia geforce gtx 1050 graphic card. I need your help.

HDMI depends on the source (your laptop), the cable, and the monitor to all meet certain standards so they can work together. When one or more of these are marginal or don't meet that standard at all you don't get a picture. The longer the HDMI cable the more likely that it is marginal or out of spec. It's common that a long cable will work with one monitor and not another. Try a better quality cable or an HDMI cable booster.

Nov 9, 2018

Thanks for your answer. The problem is that I tried to connect another laptop with similar specs in my monitor with this cable and it worked fine. How can this happen? Apart from this, I tested my laptop with my cable with a much more older monitor and a TV and worked well. In my graphic cards settings I can see that my laptop is connected with the monitor but the monitor is always on sleep mode.

If everybody adhere to the standard this would be more consistent, but nobody does, everybody try to make their cable a little different to stand out and lowest priced out competitors, and most of the time it *may* work but as soon as you go beyond the 5' or so, issues. Do u need something better than a Valueline. With longer cables a heavier gauge is usually desirable like 28 awg vs 32. Yah I know 90% of vendor don't advertise this but that's why u gotta shop around.

Nov 9, 2018

I understand this but it seems that my cable is fine as I tested it with other monitors and pcs. I mean, how is it possible the cable not to work only with the specific laptop and the specific monitor?

Your understanding is not enough. This is where newbie common sense breaks down.

But not only cables are often out of specs, but HDMI ports too, the HDMI switching electronics on different devices can not be fully trusted.

Nov 9, 2018

I know that I didn't buy the best cable but it works fine with a similar laptop and the same monitor. How can this be possible? Both my laptop and monitor are good so I believe that it doesn't have to do with the HDMI ports of these two. Considering that I tested the cable with my laptop in a ten years old TV and another older monitor and they worked, it seems so weird to me.