xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
System spec:
i3 3110m 2.4ghz
gt 650m 2gb ddr5
8 gb ram 1333mhz
500 gb hdd 5000rpm

gpu usage always below 99% and/or spike up down while gaming. Only stable while on menus and sometimes during cutscenes. fps changes minimal to none when changing graphics quality of games. ran far cry 4 on ultra with 15fps while running in the woods without other npcs. when on low same fps show only slightly better being a bit higher with sometimes stable at 18. Cant run 2k15 on any settings. Playing only in 1366x768 resolution. GPU temps are always below 60 and CPU temps are 85 max mostly on 80. used fraps on fps. used msi afterburner and msi gaming center to observe gpu usage.

image of far cry 4 on ultra
http://i.imgur.com/179Lba2.jpg

image of gpu usage and cpu usage
http://i.imgur.com/XFqRUhG.jpg

If bottlenecked, I am planning to buy an I5 or n I7 processor, and if worth the price.

Solution

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
You are correct. the cpu isnt 100 percent. the same as you can see in the msi afterburner. so its now a bottleneck? just weak hardware? my friend bought a new msi gp60 with an i7 and 840m, saying he can play it without any lag near max. dont know the reso but 1080p is the native reso of his laptop. do you think a 840m can out perform the 650m? I told him to try far cry 4 but we still havent seen each other. if he can play it without lag, would it be the 840m carrying the weight of the games or the i7?

And thank you for your answer. It is well appreciated. :)

ps. I know the dfference of the specs of both but I really dont know how it copes up in real life gaming rather than just benchmarks.

And here, I tried the NBA 2k15, I thought it would be more cpu intensive than on the gpu
here is the image
kNNPNDB.png

it was nearly constant at 100.
for fps, its good for about 10 secs then down to 15 fps from 40.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

From my previous post in the task manager i was running on 100%, please see at the image above. it was wile playing nba 2k15.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Highest at 83 degree celcius. I already changed the thermal paste. I can run it at lower temperatures by using external fans, which I have plenty to cover the whole laptop. fps doesnt change that much when switching to ultra from low.
ps. a friend with i7 and 840m can run it on ultra at playable fps(24-30)

Lutfij

Splendid
Regardless of all the back and forth you've been through, the posts are irrelevant.

You have a gaming laptop but what you haven't noticed is that your specs:
i3 3110m 2.4ghz
gt 650m 2gb ddr5

8 gb ram 1333mhz
500 gb hdd 5000rpm

you are expecting more out of what you have. The GPU and CPU are both your culprits and furthermore one of the games you've mentioned Far Cry 4 is notorious for using only one core from a dual core or multi core cpu for which Ubisoft has stated a patch is en route.

far cry 4 on ultra with 15fps
stop doing that. You're hardware is mobile grade and is not meant to produce playable frames on the titles you are looking at.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Even so, that doesnt explain why an gt840m can run games better than a gt650m. even if it faster the margin would be so thin it wont be noticeable. It may be a mobile graphics card and I can keep the cpu running at 70 temps but still not have the performance of an 840m with an i7. Ive looked at the specs of the 840m and it does seem to far to a 650m.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
The questions are still left unanswered.

youtube videos show it can run it at medium high settings. that does not justify the fact that I cant run it at low at the lowest possible resolution with everything disabled.

that does not answer why fps does not change when switching from ultra to low, and even starting the game at low settings still give the same fps.

it also does not answer why I am outperformed by a 840m by a huge margin in real life gaming.

the 650m is nothing like a desktop gpu and that I understand but from what others show in youtube where they have i7 cpu's, the game runs smoothly for them. Theses games werent the only games I had trouble running. there like 3 other games I have played which were cpu extensive. I was not able to run hitman 5 before at any settings also. nba 2k14 was not smooth just like 2k15.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

The only question really is why did I see it run better on a weaker gpu and on a simillar gpu?

And yes I have looked at the minimum but that wont actually answer the questions I asked, if it did I would have not bothered going here.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

an Intel i3 mobile microprocessor is simply not up to the task, that's why altering graphics quality has little to no impact on performance.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

That is an answer somehow, I just would like to know if using a i7 quadcore specifically a i7 3630qm be of any difference an be worth the price. if not I am wishing the gs30 to be released on 2015 be on a reasonable price.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Mobile i7s are pretty damn good and can usually trade blows with their desktop counterparts. I suspect that it would make the game significantly more playable.

You must be very careful though as many mobile CPUs are soldered directly to the motherboard, meaning that they cannot be swapped out. In cases where they are swappable, you must make sure that the laptop's power delivery and cooling are able to meet the demands of the more powerful CPUs.

xianm16

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

So it is really a possible reason that an 840m with i7 outperform a 650m with an i3? I openned the back of my laptop and it looked liked I will be able to replace it. Plastic surrounded it and does not look soldered at all.

Thank you :)