Madmaxneo

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
Actually I am not sure if it is malware, a virus, spyware, or what. But something is going with my computer. Sometimes when the computer starts I get a "installing unknown device driver software" messaage. And there are no unknown devices connected to my computer. Then when I task killed (from the control panel) the device installation I couldn't access my media player. So I decided to let the device installation run but open device manager to see what it was. When I clicked on device manager I got the little timing circle indicating it is processing, but my device manager never came up. Then I had to force restart the computer. Also, sometimes when I restart my computer it takes forever to shut down (longer than a few minutes). Other times when I try to restart my computer I get an error indicating it can't shut down because to many "16 bit" programs are running. I have to force restart it then. I have AVG 2014 and it recently found a bunch of tracking cookies after I did a deep scan when my computer kept freezing up for a second at a time (sometimes repeatedly). After that scan and removal of the cookies it hasn't done the 1 second freeze since. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Please advise.
Please note that it is possibly a device I have installed but doesn't seem to work correctly. It is a logitech G13 game pad. But I did not have that device connected when this all went down because I disconnected it as it wouldn't work for a game.
Bruce

Solution
I recommend you either use AVAST! or ESET. I've used both of these programs and they are great at detecting malware, much better then AVG.

Madmaxneo

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
I have used Malwarebytes and now my trial is up. The free version didn't find anything. Neither did another deep scan by AVG. I just got a notice for updates for my windows 7 so I am downloading them now. I think they are all some kind of security updates so maybe these will fix whatever is wrong.

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
If you try avast, run the boot time scan. That often finds things in a base cpu language mode that prevents viruses from tampering with the anti-virus removal process. Once downloaded you can run avast boot time scan in normal mode. It will automatically restart your computer. You will see a black background and white font. It can take a couple of hours depending on how fast your machine is. Once done, if it finds anything it will give you a number list of what you want it to do. Choose fix all. I forget the number on that. Good luck! Even if all looks good, consider backing up your important data and get prepared for a factory reset. Always good to be prepared.

Madmaxneo

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014
I don't know who picked Effeectt as having the best solution but it wasn't me. The truth is the solution to my problem wasn't my virus scanner it was the fact that I needed a new motherboard. Which I did get and it all runs great now.

Bruce