Renorei

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I bought an Acer Aspire One D270-1375 netbook and replaced the hard drive with an SSD and upgraded the RAM to 4GB (it will recognize all 4 GB with the right OS). Before I made these changes, it was working fine, albeit slowly, as is typical for netbooks with 1 GB ram and Windows 7 starter, which is what it came with.

After I made these changes and put the battery back in and tried to turn it on, the netbook doesn't do anything. The little light is on that shows that it's getting power but it doesn't make any noise, nothing appears on the screen, etc. I want to install Crunchbang on it from a USB drive but I can't do that if nothing happens.

What could be wrong and how do I figure out exactly what the problem is so I can fix it?

EDIT: If it helps, the new SSD is a Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB and the RAM is Micron.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi,

Put back old memory, if it doesn't boot, maybe the memory is not compatible.

I tried to find what is max GB of memory and can't find any specs. Since it's a netbook with atom processor, I suspect max memory is 2 gb (1 gb in each slot) and this is why the netbook is not posting.

What are the specs of the memory (ddr3, speed )?

Renorei

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
The "official" limit is 2GB RAM for this netbook, but that's really only true if it's running 32bit Windows 7 Starter (and presumably other 32 bit OS's). A lot of people online have had success with running a single 4GB stick of RAM with 64 bit Windows 7 (and presumably other 64 bit OS's).

But I'll try putting the old memory back and see what happens.

Renorei

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Haha wow my RAM wasn't all the way in.

Shoved it in till it snapped this time and now I'm getting somewhere. Turned on netbook, hit F12 to take me to boot options and selected USB. But then it gives me an error message. But I suppose this is more of an issue for Crunchbang experts.