Solved! no 5.1 audio with Yamaha receiver and Sony TV

Jun 11, 2018
Hi,
I have my Yamaha RX-V381BL connected to my Sony XBR49X800E. It's passing audio but not 5.1. Connection is through HDMI (HDMI 3 ARC on the TV and HDMI out on receiver). HDMI control is on on receiver and ARC is on. I'm playing a Netflix movie with 5.1 audio.
I can hear audio through the audio system but no 5.1.
I also cannot use the tv remote to control the audio system.
Home theatre control system on Sony tv seem to not recognize the yamaha receiver.
Any help?
Thanks very much
Pasquale

Solution
You don't mention if you get 5.1 on sources other than Netflix?
Check your Netflix audio settings (if there are any).
If the TV won't pass 5.1 then you will need to connect sources to the receiver rather than the TV. If you stream using the TV apps then an external streamer would be needed to connect to the receiver.
Check in the TV audio menu that the output type is set to bitstream 5.1 If it is set to PCM you get stereo instead of 5.1
The home theater control system is probably Sony CEC. CEC doesn't work well or often.
A Logitech Harmony remote will combine all your remotes and make the system easier to use.

You don't mention if you get 5.1 on sources other than Netflix?
Check your Netflix audio settings (if there are any).
If the TV won't pass 5.1 then you will need to connect sources to the receiver rather than the TV. If you stream using the TV apps then an external streamer would be needed to connect to the receiver.

Solution