No bass from subwoofer: PC to receiver via hdmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cablefree

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Hello there.

My subwoofer doesn't work with my pc :(

I have my PC connected to my receiver with an HDMI cable. I have a 5.1 setup. When I go the the windows playback device settings and run the windows speaker "test," the subwoofer works fine during the speaker test... The sub doesn't work with any programs or games.

The sub works with all other devices: Blueray, cable, xbox, etc...

I don't get it...

My devices are:
-Geforce gt 720
-Pioneer vsx-523
-Windows 10

Thank you for your help!

Solution
that points more towards it being a settings issue or problem in game. are your in game settings set for 5.1 not just stereo? have you tried adjusting the knob on the back of your subwoofer as well? if you are getting audio via the windows test then the hdmi connection is working right and you should be able to get sub signal.
that points more towards it being a settings issue or problem in game. are your in game settings set for 5.1 not just stereo? have you tried adjusting the knob on the back of your subwoofer as well? if you are getting audio via the windows test then the hdmi connection is working right and you should be able to get sub signal.

Solution

cablefree

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Thanks for the reply.

When I run the windows "test," the subwoofer is loud. The sub works appropriately with other devices. The subwoofer doesn't make ANY noise from ANY program on my PC: games, youtube, spotify, etc...

ien2222

Distinguished
I'm not very familiar with the Pioneer menus, but there will be an option to set your main speakers to large(full) or small, make sure that it's set to "small". You'll then need to make sure the crossover is set correctly, usually 80Hz if the mains can play lower than that, otherwise it's whatever the speakers are rated at. So if they are rated 48-20,000 you'd choose 80Hz, if it's 120-20,000 you'd choose 120Hz. It's a starting point you can play a little to find out what sounds best, just don't set it lower than the rating.

I mention the above because there may not be any LFE content with what you're computer is using. If that's the case and your speaker setting is set to "large" then the sub won't play. What you want is for the sub to not only handle LFE, but the bass frequencies as well so your are taking that burden away from your mains. So setting them to "small" is telling the AVR to pass off everything below the crossover to the sub.

Reactions: ns407
Status
Not open for further replies.