KekleMcRekle

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Wuz crackalackin' browserz of Tomz Hardware - ?
We're not doing that again.

Here's the do-diddly-deal: A few years back I got this "gaming laptop" called the MSI GT70.

It came with and currently has the following:
- Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
- RAM : 12.0 GB (11.9 GB usable)
- System type : 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
- VGA : Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M / 2GB GDDR5
- HDD: 750GB 7200RPM

Honestly I don't really know most of what that means, but I reckon if I knew everything about computers then you wouldn't even be reading this post because I wouldn't have to make one. Probably.

Anyway here's the problem: A year or so ago after installing a driver update (if memory serves) playing any games using the Nvidia card usually results in some kind of message that pops up several times that normally says that the kernel driver stopped working and successfully recovered, and normally includes something about the application at the time being blocked from accessing graphics hardware.

Normally sometime after that mess of pop-ups the screen switches to the sad-face emoticon that makes up most of the new bluescreen in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (same problem on both operating systems I've tried, by the way) and initially states that it was the result of a VIDEO_TDR_ERROR. Tonight, after that, when I attempted to start back up it immediately lead to a VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR before it restarted again and I managed to log in and disable Nvidia card in the Device Manager before it would have presumably caused more problems.

This problem has occurred several times over the months and only as a result of attempting to use the Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M graphics card. I've used a variety of different graphics drivers produced by Nvidia and all of which usually result in a temporary stability before the same problem occurs again. Tonight I managed to play Watch_Dogs for awhile, and then upon trying to play it again the game crashed, and once I restarted the game again, the entire computer has a BSOD only on the main menu.

I've preformed multiple searches over the past few months for a solution to this issue and found plenty of threads about it on different message boards, but so far I have yet to discover any solution that works.

EDIT : I remembered this morning that the problem originally started shortly after installing a game from Steam called "Planetary Annihilation". If memory serves the installation required downloading some version of DirectX again, and I've heard that there may be problems with DirectX conflicting with itself as well as the second BSOD message including "DXGKRNL" which sounds related.

KekleMcRekle

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014

I have previously uninstalled the driver and used the disc of installations included with the computer to install the original driver. The results were pretty much the same.

acer_guy

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014

Hi!

I have the exact same problem, with the only differences being that my laptop is brand new (Lenovo Z710 with nvidia gt745m) and I get the same results using the older 322 driver. I am starting to think that it is some kind of incompatibility with windows 8.1 and nvidia drivers.

That's the thread I started a few days ago:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2336871/lenovo-laptop-gpu-problem.html