AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hello all,

For my work i am considering starting an Open source project to build a database for work. I have some rough designs: ERD v 5.0. The project will be to make an Access database then prehaps migrate to Oracle 11g or another DB engine and make the front end GUI in Java. My work only requires an Access DB(small scale).

The DB would be for Logging IT Assets and when employees change ownership creating a double-entry record off an add and remove ownership transfering quantity of a specific component such as Ink cartridge. The hardware would be recorded and software for deployed workstation in seperate tables and not need a transaction histrory but location with each hardware or software appearing as individual products even if brought together.

At the moment my boss is busy, so i could not gather requirements for the design, which made things difficult, it is only small scale so any newbies like me would be welcome.

I am going to build Access DB first and I will ask my boss if he minds if i was to open source the project so that i can practice migrating to a more large Database Engine.

If anyone is interested, please contact me. I have little experience on callaboration projects, but would like to experience this will be a side project i will be using the Access DB for companies purpose, but would make a good prototype.

Ps. Spells maybe way off I got a Nvidia GTX 770 last night i spent ages goggling at it! lol I would prefer to migrate to a GNU or OS DB engine if it is well documented.

Cheers,

AirTech

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
The project is in Microsoft Access first, then I will migrate. As I finalize the ERD and data types, in my spare time I will produce a different DB engine to be accessed by an OS Language such as Java, PHP etc..

Stuff the migrated project would come across would be sessions, permission, ODBC etc.. I lack experience so we could struggle together :p I am trying to get someone with experience to help guide the project in the right direction.

I will be using the Open Source project section of thenewboston.com hopefully to establish more roles for the project and place to create DB and program. If I am working on the project in work hours it will steered in the direction of my companies needs, but we can always use the code and fork the project to more generic scope and move from proprietary software to GNU.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If access is only used for storage (no UI), I would suggest you opt for SQLite instead, my experience with it shows better performance and 100% open-source (used in applications holding up to a few hundred thousand records and complex queries). You can also find JDBC drivers for it and I think it could even work with Hibernate which would make the move to any other DB much easier if you write your query code properly.

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
No a UI is needed i have nearly got the designs finished and ill start building it. Converting it to OS will have to be a sideline project it is a shame how convenience is valued more than ethics....but that's business i guess.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What I meant is "is Access used for the UI as well?", if either way you do a web and/or Java UI and Access is only used as DB, using another DB engine than Access would be preferable.

AirTech

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

ATM it is just Access DB and Access UI ie Forms and reports. I want more advanced forms and am currently looking into that. Are you interested in helping out?