nbradiation

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hey everyone im in need of help with a problem of trying to get my pc to play 5.1. My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-VLX and i have a Vantec 7.1 (UGT-S110) sound card. I am trying to run the sound to my blu ray player to play in 5.1. The player is a Samsung HT-D4500. Is this even possible or is there something I am missing? Thanks for any advice.
Also i am trying to use an optical cable if that matters.

Solution
they make hdmi arc adapters. perhaps look into one of those to see if they do what you need them to.

a receiver is a 100% fix (albiet an expensive one). not sure if you can get it going as-is or not. if you can get audio working over hdmi arc then yes, if not then no.
based on what i can see of the rear panel it only supports 2.0 stereo input in (rca red+white) which means other than stereo sound you will not be able to use your soundcard to connect.

it does however support hdmi ARC [audio return channel] which means you should be able to connect up to your pc via hdmi to your video card or motherboard [if hdmi arc is supported] (or if you use a tv as your display and it also supports ARC then for both pc and home theater... connect pc->tv and ht->tv and you should be able to pass sound by)

afaik the optical is output only not input. your only real options are rca input or via ARC.

nbradiation

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hey thanks for the quick reply and I am sorry but I am not well versed in pc audio but what are my options for producing 5.1 and using my speakers? Do I need an actual receiver or will this blu ray player suffice?
Also my TV does not support ARC so is that a problem too?
Finally the video card I am using is a GTX 960 and I cannot find if it is ARC compatible.
Again thank you for the quick response.

they make hdmi arc adapters. perhaps look into one of those to see if they do what you need them to.

a receiver is a 100% fix (albiet an expensive one). not sure if you can get it going as-is or not. if you can get audio working over hdmi arc then yes, if not then no.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS