Zsaqwes8

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014
Equipment:
http://imgur.com/zHMdPV0,Maumn5h,2WBLrKv,USnUlLn#3
GPU - AMD Radeon r9 270x 4gb gddr
Motherboard - M5A78L-MLx3
Sony Strk-900 AV Reciever

Problem: When connecting the receiver by HDMI to my PC, whether or not I connect the speakers or I plug in a pair of headphones to the receiver, an audio device is not detected in my PC's playback options.

Yesterday I messed with it for hours trying to find a solution, looking up everything related and I have no idea. Thanks so much for any help.

it looks as if you have hdmi connected to the receiver and a dvi connected to your monitor (ie not using video passthrough and keeping both separate).

are you saying that your receiver does not show up at all under sound playback devices?
does it show up if you right click and show disabled and disconnected devices?
have you tried both hdmi inputs on the receiver?
have you tested the hdmi port on your video card (with a monitor or tv... anything) to verify that it is working?
have you verified that the hdmi ports work correctly on the receiver (with another input device)? same with the cable.
have you made sure to update your graphic card and onboard sound drivers?
have you made sure the receiver was on before you started up the pc? also does turning the receiver off and then on with the pc on do anything to make it appear?

given that your receiver has hdmi input... connecting via hdmi from your video card is correct and you should see an option to set it as a default audio device. now sometimes there are quirks (hdmi handshake) but it should work provided both devices are functioning.

if you cannot get hdmi functioning, is optical input an option? the manual i saw was not clear as to whether or not your receiver supports 5.1 over optical. if it did (and you had a cheap soundcard with the option) you could get compressed audio over optical. if it doesnt support compressed audio over optical then it would be 2.0 only. hdmi is better though.

Zsaqwes8

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014
are you saying that your receiver does not show up at all under sound playback devices? yes it does not
does it show up if you right click and show disabled and disconnected devices? no
have you tried both hdmi inputs on the receiver? yes
have you tested the hdmi port on your video card (with a monitor or tv... anything) to verify that it is working? yes
have you verified that the hdmi ports work correctly on the receiver (with another input device)? same with the cable. the video works but not the audio
have you made sure to update your graphic card and onboard sound drivers? yes
have you made sure the receiver was on before you started up the pc? also does turning the receiver off and then on with the pc on do anything to make it appear? yes

given that your receiver has hdmi input... connecting via hdmi from your video card is correct and you should see an option to set it as a default audio device. now sometimes there are quirks (hdmi handshake) but it should work provided both devices are functioning.

if you cannot get hdmi functioning, is optical input an option? the manual i saw was not clear as to whether or not your receiver supports 5.1 over optical. if it did (and you had a cheap soundcard with the option) you could get compressed audio over optical. if it doesnt support compressed audio over optical then it would be 2.0 only. hdmi is better though.[/quotemsg]

"Your receiver is from the early generations where they only implemented HDMI switching. All it does it swap inputs, but it doesn't decode audio at all. I've been burned by this before too, and I was pretty irritated when I found out as it was way past the opportunity to return it. The best you can do on there is optical audio with 5.1 DTS." - Some guy on Reddit

cant say i've heard of hdmi input not supporting audio decoding (after all hdmi was developed to be BOTH audio and video transmission) and given that your receiver works with other hdmi inputs on the same port with audio support (basing this on the generic "yes" answer you gave above) i'd say that point the reddit guy made is pretty much moot and doesnt apply completely. there certainly might be an issue with your pc recognizing the receiver as an audio device though (perhaps what he meant?) so i'd try to connect another laptop or pc up to it to verify that its not just your one pc.

what he said about optical is a potential solution (i listed it in my previous post, but its not really the ideal option).

have you tried passing through the video and audio from pc->receiver->monitor and trying that way? provided of course you're not using a 120/144hz monitor with duallink dvi

Zsaqwes8

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014

Thanks for the ideas. I will try and test it with a different pc today and get back to you (can't believe I didn't think of that haha).

Edit: oh and yes I tried passing it through that way. Heres the thing. I have 2 monitors one is standard 60hz no speakers. The other is 144hz with speakers. Connecting to either monitor through the receiver does not allow my pc to detect the receivers audio (thr surround sound speakers) but it does let my 144hz monitor with speakers play sound, so it must be carrying audio huh.. this stuff gets confusing