Denis_14

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Ok so basically my old laptop has finally kicked the bucket. I was using an old Sony Vaio which I bought for college 6 years ago. It was working on 3GB RAM and an old AMD Athlon II processor. This of course was perfect for general use in college.

Since then I've become a photography nut and have decided to upgrade with the death of the old dinosaur. My old fossil could handle Lightroom 2 and photoshop elements 5 fairly well but I know it won't be up to scratch if I update my software.

Basically what laptop would you recommend for a photography hobbyist on a budget? Any help greatly appreciated. Please cover the following topics in your answer:

Minimum RAM required

Intel vs AMD: What processor do I need?

Integrated vs Dedicated Graphics: Should I look for a laptop with a graphics card or will integrated graphics suffice?

Solution
As far as memory goes I wouldn't drop below 8gb, for anything. Processor, definitely Intel, AMDs are just not up to par. As far as GPU goes, always prefer having a dedicated one, most laptops with higher specs have one anyways and those that don't aren't actually cheaper. What is your budget, which country are you buying from?

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
As far as memory goes I wouldn't drop below 8gb, for anything. Processor, definitely Intel, AMDs are just not up to par. As far as GPU goes, always prefer having a dedicated one, most laptops with higher specs have one anyways and those that don't aren't actually cheaper. What is your budget, which country are you buying from?

Solution

Denis_14

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Sorry for the sticky keyboard. Typing on a cellphone. Didn't mean to vote down your answer.

I'm buying from Ireland and my budget is 7-800 euro. Also a good resolution screen is important

Denis_14

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Hmm will it suffice? Are the integrated graphics enough?

Maybe save for this laptop?
http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/500-15-inch/

Black model is 840 euro