Put a 32 GB SD Card into my Alcatel Pop Icon, still getting "Insufficient Storage." :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

antigeekess

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
How do I get the phone to a.) recognize the card, b.) move apps to the card, and/or c.) download new apps to the card.

It's as if it's not in there at all. Totally useless thus far. Thanks.

Solution
That isn't a 'problem' it just means that the manufacturer of that device has restricted it and does not allow the use of that option. Hence the missing three dot menu. It is really common actually. Unfortunately you have to look at even more of the details with device when looking to buy them now. And this isn't something that is normally listed in their specs. They just don't tell you that 'no this device can have the SD card converted into internal storage". When purchasing a new device I would so recommend pestering the rep/sales person/ etc. on if that can be done with the device and if they say yes, get it in writing. ;)
Well, to recognize a card the SD card should just need to be inserted into the phone. Unless there is either something wrong with the card, it was formatted to another device (and encrypted by said device), the card is damaged, or the slot on the phone is damaged.

To move and/or download apps to a SD card requires that the phone be running, or upgradable to Android "Marshmallow" and not have had this option restricted by the manufacturer. Which does happen. Should you be running "Marshmallow", or able to upgrade to it, the following is how to make the change.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

antigeekess

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
All these months later, still the same problem. No one online has a solution that works, including the one above (which I'm just now seeing.) There is no "three-dot menu" in the top right.

This problem is all over the internet, & I don't see a solution anywhere. These things have low storage & just won't recognize an SD card, apparently. It seems the only cure is the garbage can/recycler. :/

That isn't a 'problem' it just means that the manufacturer of that device has restricted it and does not allow the use of that option. Hence the missing three dot menu. It is really common actually. Unfortunately you have to look at even more of the details with device when looking to buy them now. And this isn't something that is normally listed in their specs. They just don't tell you that 'no this device can have the SD card converted into internal storage". When purchasing a new device I would so recommend pestering the rep/sales person/ etc. on if that can be done with the device and if they say yes, get it in writing. ;)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.