Random lag spikes for 1-2 seconds during gaming.

camilot1998

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Hello, this is my first post here!

My issue is, I bought a laptop about 4 month ago and after a month it started to have random lag spikes while gaming, which was followed up by the sound of hard drive spinning up. I have constant 100 fps in most of my games that I play, but every 5-10 minutes, sometimes more often the fps goes to 10-15 and goes back up to normal after 1-2 seconds which makes the game unplayable at some moments. I also realized that most of time this happens when the games tries to produce a unique sound I was investigating this issue for a long time and I cannot fix it.
things that I did:

Defragmented the HDD
Updated ALL of my drivers
Set to the maximum performance for everything
Tried running the game with both integrated and dedicated graphics
checked the temperatures (they are fine around 70C while gaming)

Laptop Specs:
Nvidia 820m
Intel corei5 4200u 3.30 Hz
750 GB HDD Samsung 5400rpm

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there camilot1998,

Sometimes, frame drops could occur when there is something with the drive.
My suggestion would be to test it with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Observe the SMART report and look for reallocated/pending and uncorrectable sectors.

If there is something wrong with it, it may be a good idea to back up the crucial data stored on it.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD

camilot1998

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

camilot1998

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Hello D_know_wd, thank you for your reply.
I tried using the HDTune software and when i test every sector on my drive they are all healthy(color green), but when i do a read and write test, the graph begins at like 110 mb/s then slowly goes down (which i know is normal), but in some parts of the test the graph drops from like 90 to 5 and goes back up 90. I don't know what could that mean, maybe loose connection to the drive?

camilot1998

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

The Error Scan did not show any errors all green.
The health status is "ok"
The graph for benchmark looks suspicious http://imgur.com/zwunRkm I don't know what those sudden spikes mean.
Thank you for your time!

camilot1998

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016