Reboot and select proper boot device error

LilNinja1805

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Screen is black and it just keeps saying Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press a key I replaced my hdd but it still doesn't show up all other information on my computer does except hdd it just says N/A how do I fix this on a Toshiba satellite radius laptop? Please help

Solution
Hello again, @LilNinja1805!

In order to be able to boot from the USB drive, you need to make sure that it's properly configured as a Installation media for Windows. You should check this tutorial from MS on how to create a bootable flash drive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

You should go to BIOS and configure the boot priority order properly. Make sure that the USB flash drive is the first and your HDD the second. This should help you install Windows properly.

Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions. :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, @LilNinja1805!

Do you have a recovery CD with your laptop or the Windows installation media you have currently installed on it? It should help you boot in the recovery options and run Startup repair if needed, to determine what is wrong with the OS. The issue could also be coming from the hard drive itself, so I'd advise you to check the warranty on your laptop first. If it's covered and the issue is hardware-related, then the manufacturer/reseller should take care of the replacement.
If it's not covered, you could try taking the HDD out of the laptop and access it through a USB drive enclosure or a SATA-to-USB cable attached to another computer to determine its health and SMART status by running the drive's brand-specific diagnostic utility.

Make sure you backup all important data from the HDD once you can access it! This is the best way to avoid any potential data loss.

Keep me posted. Hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

LilNinja1805

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

I replaced the hdd already and downloaded Windows onto my usb drive but thats as far as i got . It still isnt recognising my hdd it just says N/A next to it

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hello again, @LilNinja1805!

In order to be able to boot from the USB drive, you need to make sure that it's properly configured as a Installation media for Windows. You should check this tutorial from MS on how to create a bootable flash drive: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

You should go to BIOS and configure the boot priority order properly. Make sure that the USB flash drive is the first and your HDD the second. This should help you install Windows properly.

Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution