Report: Quad-core HTC Zeta Packs 2.5 GHz CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Wow. Quad core phones next year? Can't wait to see what will be available after my contract expires in 2 years. Hexa... Octa-core? Breaking 3ghz barrier?

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Sweet crap. And just a decade ago, a Pentium III 500 MHz with 64 MB RAM and a monitor showing 1024x768 (lower pixel count that this phone) was a decent desktop computer...

G

Bring on the iPhone jokes... followed by the "will it play Crysis?"

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
you guys shouldn't compare these chips to an x86 its like coparing apples to potatoes... I happen to love both... they are both food... both can be delicious mashed... both can be made in pies... hmm apples and potatoes are pretty similar actually >_< bad analogy. but still ARm and x86 are very different, btu I am very impressed at these latest multi core arm offerings. I only hope that app makers will start using multiple cores. heck ieven now on pc's there's alot of programs not taking advantage of extra cores. hopefully phoen app developers will show up to the party quicke rthan they did to the multi-thred programing pc shindig... everybody was fashionably late for that

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
that's insane. too bad it's too big to fit in that side pocket on my jeans. 4.7"! freaking huge (not that big is a bad thing by any means!)

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I'm excited for these next gen phones with quad core CPUs. i do think that this is WAY overkill for most users but as someone who loads 3rd party firmware to get the most out of my 1.2ghz Evo3d, i cant wait for these quads!.
What i want even more than the quad cores, would be a hybrid type phone, check out the Samsung Galaxy player (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-G70CWY/XAA) with its 5" screen, its absolutely amazing and i think with its small borders, they could pack in a 5.5" screen that would still be easy to handle, tack on Ice Cream Sandwich and one of those quad core chips, i would definitely pay up to $400 at the 2yr contract subsidized price or $800-$900 w/o contract. It would be slightly awkward to hold up to your ear for extended periods of time but the larger screen means i don't have to carry around 2 devices makes this WELL worth it.

On a plane ride i've watched movies on a little ipod 1.5" screen as well as my 9.7" ipod screen. and obviously its nicer on the larger screen but totally unnecessary at the same time, i think this hybrid would be the swiss army knife of tablets/phones, just please make sure not to short out on storage, maybe toss in a 2nd microSD port!

Thumbs up if you would like a phone/tablet hybrid device

G

If HTC is putting a 1830mAh battery in it, you can be sure it needs a 2300mAh battery.

G

Of course the performance of this quad core cpu is dubious and debatable but still it's a quad core running at 2.5Ghz. I am mad and aggravated ! This means all x68 models sold today are basically junk.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I like that the phones become more powerful, meaning the relative speaking weak cpu's don't have to run everything remotely demanding (decoding/encoding ect) through dedicated hardware for that but rather in software meaning any format can be supported and not what the maker decides what to place the chip budget on.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]Um, what? I can fit my entire hand in my jean pockets, and almost all my jeans are designer & not some huge construction style.....So how does a 4.7" screen not fit in your pocket?[/citation]

Your hand bends and is flexible, a phone is not

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]putotae[/nom]Can it play Syrim?[/citation]
because it was designed with consoles in mind..., yes. Anything written to run on consoles are not cutting edge fast.

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
This makes the PSP Vita quad core look less impressive. There will be more phones on February that will be equipped with quad core. But do people really need quad core phones? Are there a lot of apps on phone that scale well up to four cores? Softwares on desktop can't even keep up with the hardware like AMD with 8 cores.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]that's insane. too bad it's too big to fit in that side pocket on my jeans. 4.7"! freaking huge (not that big is a bad thing by any means!)[/citation]

That is definitely NOT what she said!

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I haven't even had my Atrix for a year. Thing with technology is, never buy until you absolutely can't use your old tech anymore. Chasing trends is expensive. If we've got quad cores @ more than double the clock speed as phones from just a year prior, what the heck will be there when my contract has expired another year later??

It would be easier if I just stopped following the news until I'm ready to move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.