Rip an entire CD to MP3 without tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
To clarify. I would like to rip a cd as 1 mp3 file, not divided up into different tracks. What software would allow me to do this, other than your standard audio recorders?
-Brett

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
How? I downloaded it after reading you recommend it in several different discussions. Every time I ran it, it tried to divide it up into the individual tracks. I'll look again, though. I may not have been very thorough.
-Brett

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
why do you want to rip it to a single file?

i use FLAC rather than MP3

FLAC has the ability to record as a single file and then uses a .cue (i belive thats what its called) file to tell the omputer where the tracks are.

is this the kind of thing you are talking about.

FLAC is not MP3 and it encodes at 100% quality e.g. bit for bit to the cd, but it shrinks files down to about 60% of a cd size. 1 cd comes out at about 400Mb.

Alltaken

p.s. sorry i don't know a program that will do it to mp3 though

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Thanks, I will check out FLAC first chance I get. Sounds interesting and I'd like to see it in action. In the meantime, I discoverd that Soudforge will do the job for me. Is FLAC expensive or is it a typical consumer grade program?
-Brett

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
FLAC is open source!!!

its totally free, i don't know how user friendly it is becasue i use it through dmbpoweramp or somthing like that.

but to play flac files you will need to get plugins for programs, or use flac player. also nero can burn cd's from flac with a plugin too.

i'll give you a link to flac if you want. i suggest you do some research on it from their site to see if it fits your needs.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Alltaken

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Try the IMG icon on the left side of the Exact Audio Copy program or use the 'Copy Image and Create CUE sheet' from the 'Action' menu.

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
hey I see that EAC does CD format to wav, but it just does not seem to convert my CD audio to mp3 format. How the hell do I do this including changing the bitrate of the mp3 i want to create.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Under the EAC pull-down menu there's 'Compression Options'. Under the External Compression tab you should point where your external compressor (e.g. LAME) is located on your disk and then set the other options (bitrate, quality, etc.) accordingly. In my case for example, the Parameter Passing scheme is 'Monkey's Audio lossless encoder' and I've located the encoder program and written its address under 'Program, including path, ...'. For LAME or any other MP3 encoder you should do the same and then set the bitrate and quality, etc. You can also bypass any of these settings with entering a valid option (for the external encoder) in the 'Additional Command Line options'. For example, you can tell LAME to encode at very high-quality variable bitrate by typing "--alt-preset extreme" or in version 3.93 and beyond, just "--preset extreme". Or any other command line option that suits your needs...

After doing all this, just push the MP3 button on the left side of the EAC screen and you're done.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 08/13/03 02:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Alltaken's post gave me an idea which I'm not sure will work. Make a CD binary image using a CD ripping program (can't recommend one as they all like making images using their own format). The image is a file with a .bin extention and another file with a .cue extention (that's why it's sometimes called cue/bin image). Now, open the .cue file with notepad and edit the tracks so there's only one track. Than burn it or mount it (for that I use CDSpace) and rip the one track to mp3 using any ripping software. This will take time and is prob only good if you just need one disk done this way, it might also not work at all, never tried anything like this, though I often tamper with .cue files.

I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
EAC should be able to rip to a single file and output a .cue file as well.

solving all problems in one ;)

Alltaken

<A HREF="http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz" target="_new">http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz</A> its where its all going on

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
OK, something really weird just happened to me and it might help you. I downloaded a 100MB MP3 file and it played a one hour 20 min long piece. I saw that the name of the file said that it should be opened with winzip so I thought this must be a mistake but I changed the extention to .zip and it really did open up with winzip and revealed many songs that were in that archive, so it made me think: Rip all the CD to different tracks, then zip them all up using the store option (no compression at all, this should be important) and rename the file to a .mp3 extention. If it plays no prob, it should burn no prob!
P.S: This is really weird so I don't know how it will go.

I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.