Rumor: Next-gen Xbox SoC "Oban," Already in Production

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Until the spec's are officially announced I'm not going to get into each and everyone's post simply because its unknown. We all know consoles have slowed advancements in innovation moving forward on the PC. You can also tell that game development has halted on DX 9.0C because thats all the consoles can deliver in which hurt PC gamers who own DX 10 and up cards. And though games look great on consoles, you can tell the difference between BF3 360/PS3 and BF3 PC. Not to say there very different but the ones who've seen what DX11 can do can pickup the changes between the consoles version and the PC. I recently showed a friend and he didn't see the difference until he ran his 4000 series GPU through uni-engine.. Then he saw the big picture. If a next gen console is to be released think back on that tech demo we all saw that was running with triple SLI 580GTX's to display that tech video. Now think about it, we need a 7xxx or even 8xxx series card to deliver that sort of gaming realism in this next gen to be successful otherwise developers forget consoles, come back to the leading platform in gaming realism "The PC" =D

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Actually, that's quite feasible. As IGN pointed out, the GPU currently costs about $80US. (some on Newegg go for as low as $70US) You could readily pack in the rest of a PC for $220US. Also, don't forget it's very likely the Xbox 720 will MSRP at $400US, not $300US.[/citation]

There's no way you could get an equally performing PC for the quality/price. Add the cheapest motherboard, CPU, memory, power supply, DVD, case, keyboard/mouse and you'll get, well, a cheap PC. I'll be surprised if doesn't pass the $300 mark. And that's without the OS, because you'll need one to legally play the AAA titles out there. As for the $300 price, that's the release price of the 360 in 2005. There's no reason they can't aim for the same target with the next console.

[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]That would require adding multiple physical display connectors to the machine: those would add extra cost that would NEVER go down with miniaturization, (unlike the silicon parts) and be of dubious added value. (not many people would have the multiple displays on hand, etc.) I'd prefer that developers start implementing split-screen multiplayer more often.[/citation]

I misread the text and I thought they declared that the console would support multi-display while they in fact meant that the Radeon 6670, which the console might use, was supporting multi-display. Still, that's not impossible at all. They could go for a proprietary connector with a HDMI dongle, which would be replaceable with a multi-connector dongle, or go straight to putting multiple HDMI ports on the console. They're small enough for that.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
They're charging 400-800 dollars for phones on tablets, yet console gamers are upset to spend a little extra on a better console? A console should be a minimum of 5-600 dollars. 300 dollars now will get you a tablet that can play angry birds.

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Considering 6850's power consumption and the fact that Xbox720's GPU will be 28nm, they should use something with the performance of HD6850.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I'd expect it to be about 4-5x the performance of the original xbox, consume the same amount of power, and hopefully die slightly less than the original :p. After all, the original has 48 vliw 5 units or about 240 shaders if you were to compare it to a desktop part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

It seems reasonable to expect a 960 to 1200 shader vliw 5 part, or 800 - 960 shader graphics core next part.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I remember back in the day when consoles could spank anything a PC could muster.....God, I feel old........[/citation]

Those days never existed, you just had a shitty pc in those days.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
whoever kept saying the Consoles dont run DirectX...

Xbox 1 Runs DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
Xbox 360 Runs DirectX 9.1x (the version number was removed from Wiki).

also, look at the DirectX 7.0+ Logo on the wiki...

also, i seriously doubt that they will use such a low spec Gfx unit.
6670 has 480 SP, 128Bit interface and a GDDR3 interface.... Not nearly fast enough to run games @ 1080p. (it can run a few on LOW).

G

''UPDATE: This report claims that the GPU will be separate, and will be based on AMD's 6000 series instead -- something akin to the Radeon HD 6670 which supports DirectX 11, multi-display output, 3D and 1080p HD output. Raw graphics processing power is expected to be 6 times that of the current console, and yield 20-percent greater performance than the upcoming Nintendo Wii U.''

Can everyone look at this last part? This is just BS. Theres no way a ''report'' could have told that it had 20% greater performance than Wii U. Nintendo have always their mouth shut, and won't let anything leak. So how come theese ''sources'' have that info? Of course it's plausible that the xbox will be more powerfull, but this looks like it's a joke someone pulled on us.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Damn, that woman has nice legs.

Oh right...so about THAT article...I'm happy to see the next XBOX coming out sooner than later. I'm tired of shit ports as a PC gamer.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
The reason why the 6670 is a bad choice is because it's coming out in 2013. It'll be released probably Christmas time, with the NEXT generation of GPU's coming out probably less than 6 months from then. By that time, it'll probably be equivelant to an 8470. You'll be able to build an equivelant PC for

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
The reason why the 6670 is a bad choice is because it's coming out in 2013. It'll be released probably Christmas time, with the NEXT generation of GPU's coming out probably less than 6 months from then. By that time, it'll probably be equivelant to an 8470. You'll be able to build an equivelant PC for

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Sorry for these posts, double post derp and it didn't post half of the text either time :/

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Sorry for these posts, double post derp and it didn't post half of the text either time :/

The reason why the 6670 is a bad choice is because it's coming out in 2013. It'll be released probably Christmas time, with the NEXT generation of GPU's coming out probably less than 6 months from then. By that time, it'll probably be equivelant to an 8470. You'll be able to build an equivelant PC for £$400, with the console probably around £300-350, $450-500 too for the top end model (assuming there're tiers). If you include the cheaper games, lack of fee for online multiplayer, only one set of controls needed among other things, I can't see why you'd buy it (apart from lack of knowledge about PC's).

Also there'll be a new resolution out (4k) which is ~4x that of 1080p. Now, this card will probably be able to render at 1080p at 60fps with some AA, AF, a moderate draw distance increase etc but 4k? Not a chance, unless it has no AA, AF, a small draw distance, bad light and shadows etc. So it'll have to upscale, which will probably look bad.

Also consider that the next console after that won't be released until 2020 at the earliest (probably). That will mean that mobile devices (phones/tablets) will be just as powerful a few years later (if that). Will that cause them to release a new console earlier? Highly doubt it.

Also, PC hardware will be so much more powerful that, short of multiple monitors, I doubt most cards will be stressed too much. That's if the article 'Gaming Systems Reaching 'Tens of Teraflops' by 2019' is true. Also by then, lowest end hardware (

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
SO SORRY FOR THESE POSTS! Less than sign in front of a £ or $ has caused it to not posst the rest of the text.

Also by then, lowest end hardware ($60 GPU's) will probably be double, if not quadruple the power of this console.

Now, I get why they did it. They need to make it a large enough upgrade so that it will be worth the high initial price, but it needs to be a card that can easily be mass produced, so it has to be old and it has to be cheap (after all, businesses want profit). However, why not a 4870, or a 4850/70x2? They'd have been almost double - triple the power, it's an old card that could be mass produced, it has a proven track record.... Yes it doesn't have Dx11, 3D etc but I'm sure they could add it in.

Not to be totally negative, if it has a 6 core CPU like a rumour did a while back, that could mean good things for us. Games taking advantage of 4/6 cores? Yes please.

G

[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]The reason why the 6670 is a bad choice is...[/citation]

The reasons why a 6670 is a good choice for these dev kits is...

It can handle 1080p resolution (at questionable quality levels)
Its pretty much top-of-the-line graphics for cards NOT requiring additional 6-8pin power connectors.
It can be cooled by a fanless heatsink supported by multi-purpose fans within the chassis.
It's cheap.

The End.

G

A Radeon HD 6670? Seriously? The next xbox is quite a disappointment if it was released today. The fact that it won't be hitting shelves until a year & 7 months just buries it. PC gamers primarily play on monitors and Console gamers play on larger screens so by the time it releases the need for solid and smooth 1080P on maybe more than 1 monitor or TV should be expected. It makes a person sick when Epic releases "Unreal Engine 3 Samaritan" it get everyone excited for the gaming industry's progression just to be ripped back in time by consoles.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
@digitalzom-b said "They're charging 400-800 dollars for phones on tablets, yet console gamers are upset to spend a little extra on a better console?"

Haha, great point. Then again, the world knows most of the revenue (at least for Sony) comes from the games they sell. They take quite a loss of revenue from the console itself. Remember how long it took Sony to get out of the red with the PS3? Microsoft may be a lil different though. They want to keep revenue up, and with the bogus marketing of "New updated graphics that is 6 times faster than the previous console," they can easily fool the unknowing public that this is indeed just marketing hype.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
By the time the new XBox is ready the 6670 core should be a much more optimized version than the one that came out initially. It will more likely have a faster core, and faster memory. It's not like it will be a rebrand, like whenever a new series of cards come out, and the new lower cards become rebrands of the previous serious.

Am I disappointed, sure, I was actually considering buying a console, only bcuz they don't sell Final Fantasy or Naruto for the pc.

When I look at the low level of AA support, horrible lighting, blurry/meshed backgrounds, and all of the other thangs we dislike about the horrible graphics on the XBox, this will be quite an improvement. I was at my friends house playing BF3 on his Xbox, and he was bragging about "insane" level of detail compared to MW3, and that's the main reason he plays BF3. Let the consolers have their fun, we PC gamers are just privileged.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
You have to see they are designing the console for 1 resolution in mind 1080p@60fps.

Not to mention the 6670 it pure rumor and speculation at the moment, there's no proof this is the exact thing that will be in the final design.

Also, you don't need the exacting specs for the SDK units, as long as the system architecture remains the same, there's no stopping them from upping the speed of the units at a later date so long as the devs have a platform they can work on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS