Rumor: Next-gen Xbox SoC "Oban," Already in Production

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"akin to Radeon HD 6670" ... "yield 20-percent greater performance than the upcoming Nintendo Wii U"
Wait.. WHAT!? That doesn't make sense...

The Nintendo Wii U graphics is based on a 4870 with a higher clock making closer to a 4890.
So here is where the math doesn't make sense:

PROFORMANCE FACTS:
Wii U = Close to a 4890
4890 > 4870
4870 = 6770
6770 > 6670

So the 6670 isn't even as good as the 4870. Not to mention the GPU in the Wii U is running at a higher clock frequency then the 4870. So how does a 6670 work out to be 20% faster than a 4870.

Sure the 4870 (or 4890) can't do certain things like directx 11 and not tessilation but features don't make a card get better proformance...
All you little boys and girls need to learn that just because it's the newest generation card goesn't mean you automatically get better frame rates than all of the previous generation cards.

The only thing that could possibly make that statement true is if the game was forcing tessilation on a 4870 that doesn't have that built into the hardware OR if having a sperate video card really helps that much. (Sounds like the card will be a sperate add-in instead of an onboard chip.)

Am I think only one that picked up on this seemingly false statement?

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]Sure, I understand that there needs to be a standard across different manufacturers, to keep a consistent experience for all users. However, this is a console we are talking about, with specially locked down hardware. GPUs carry a finite number of instruction sets for direct x, however, this does not mean they need to be limited to a very specific set of functions and processes.... After all, their potential is really starting to be realised in processing tasks other than games, being used to compute complicated calculations for many different tasks. These companies really need to open themselves up to more public innovation.[/citation]

You're missing the big picture, DirectX is not about console development, it is about a unified standard across Microsoft platforms whether they be a PC, Xbox, Phone, Tablet etc. Yes you can get better performance directly accessing the hardware, but it would not be as portable. As performance increases across the hardware spectrum, the hardware itself will become less of a factor.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
If you look at console history, then you will know that most consoles when released are actually pretty close to PC specs. Also, the report is talking about the development SDK, not the finished retail product.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
whatever tard thought they would use a 7800 was mentally challenged. Look at the prices of those things. Now add in a cpu, disk drive, hard drives, controllers, case, hookups, and tons more. Now that you see how obscene the price is you realize why that wouldnt happen. It is sad to see tho if its only the 6670, thats quite pathetic. Seriously, you are talking power that AMD Trinity will have. Its not much better than my current Llano chip in my laptop. A console thats dedicated to gaming and wants to last another 6 years, 6670 just wont cut it. Not in the least.

G

I wonder how many errors will be on the new Xbox. I had 2 E74s and a E60 something. And now a PC :D

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]If you look at console history, then you will know that most consoles when released are actually pretty close to PC specs. Also, the report is talking about the development SDK, not the finished retail product.[/citation]Are you sure? Looking at the comments, I was *SURE* this was the finished product and not an early dev kit platform with unknown specs (and only rumors to go by).

G

[citation][nom]Borisblade7[/nom]...It is sad to see tho if its only the 6670, thats quite pathetic. Seriously, you are talking power that AMD Trinity will have. Its not much better than my current Llano chip in my laptop. A console thats dedicated to gaming and wants to last another 6 years, 6670 just wont cut it. Not in the least.[/citation]

Nah dude. Its fine for a dev kit. It has all of the necessary features and capabilities for a next-gen device except the performance. That's probably fine for a dev kit. They can develop everything they need with the idea that the actual retail product will be 100% compatible with dev kit's hardware with added performance through tweaking the hardware. The important thing will be that all the code will work. If its really based on the 6670, then its only based on it, and we might see much higher (relative to the stock 6670) performance through increased bandwidth, clock speeds, special added functions, etc.

I'm still waiting for the next generation of Artificial Intelligence in gaming, period. I believe the graphics quality these days on PCs and consoles is at a quality that is "good enough" for immersion and the main thing they all lack is the mind-blowing AI. Let's hope this next IBM-made chip can really make that possible, and that the tools are enhanced and advanced enough to make much more complicated instructions doable within the same time constraints and human power / labor.

Who knows, maybe nVidia will come in with a crazy low bid to steal the show and have something wonderful. I doubt it, but one can hope so they feel forced to come at us with something significantly better than a modified 6670 design. I'm still skeptical about the whole report, so we'll see.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
[citation][nom]ItsAConsole[/nom]The reasons why a 6670 is a good choice for these dev kits is...It can handle 1080p resolution (at questionable quality levels)Its pretty much top-of-the-line graphics for cards NOT requiring additional 6-8pin power connectors.It can be cooled by a fanless heatsink supported by multi-purpose fans within the chassis.It's cheap.The End.[/citation]

This!

The heat is the problem! Anyone remember how bad was the red ring of the death in Xbox? 6670 compatible hardware that is made "hopefully" in 28nm node could run cool enough for small size console, it would reguire a very little power, so allow vesy small power unit (and less heat) The PC GPU's has become much faster, but they allso need a guite a lot power, and that is not good for console usage.
So for MS and Sony and Nitendo, the effiency is more important than pure power. I am guite sure that that my one reason why Nvidia has said that next gen GPU would use less electricity! It may be allso one reason why Sony waits with PS4. They want so see how well Nvidia will manage power usage in their next generation! So they can better compare and put in competition Nvidia and AMD for their next console. At this moment even die hard Nvidia fans admits that AMD has managed to make GPU's that use less power compared to Nvidia. In desktop usage that has not been big problem. Nvidia has used better coolers and offered good speed for the price, so they have been more or less even in that chategory. It would be fun to see what modern Nvidia mobile GPU could do!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Price makes or break consoles because if it is too high then people will prefer PC. New XBox will be a home entertainment unit 1st and gaming console 2nd. Also to be successfull it will have to sell for no more than $499.

chechak

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
please consoles make better GPU (more than 6670 which supports DirectX 11, multi-display output, 3D ) iam PC gamer than like to play high end graphics [citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]HD 6670 ?! LMAOAnd here I was thinking my GTX560ti rig wont be as powerful as the new xbox... well seems like it will be outdated the day it comes out..What the heck just get it out already... I'm tried of the shit ports..Will be interesting to see how the devs will take full advantage of that hardware, it's about time they make full use of DX11.[/citation]

soliloquist

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
History refresher...

PS3 gpu (the RSX) was anounced in May 2005. At that time the Geforce 6 series was available.
The next month (June 2005) the Geforce 7 Series would become available.
The top of the line Geforece 7 series at launch was the 7800. The RSX was based on (and very similar to) the 7800. The RSX was announced to be "More powerful than TWO Geforce 6800 Ultra's" in SLI.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1683/4

So the PS3 was announced with a gpu that was faster than the 2 of the fastest gpus on the market at the time and with what WOULD be the fastest Nvidia gpu of the next generation.

When the PS3 was finally released a year and a half later (Nov 2006), it was at the same time as the GeForce 8 series. So even at the release date it still had one of the top of the line gpus from the previous generation.

Now compare this to the xBox 720's RUMOR. In order for it to be similar, the gpu would need to be based on the AMD 7000 series and more powerful than 2 6970s in crossfire. But its not 2 6970s, its not a 6970, its not a 6870, its not even a 6770, we're talking about a 6670!

Not exactly pushing the envelope are they.

G

If some company like cyberlink decide to release a media player(with broad support) then that would be great.
Wishful thinking I know. But still worths it.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Technically, that GPU is ALREADY outdated and left behind, even by older high end cards a generation or so (maybe even further) behind it. I'll stop at a generation behind it as the Radeon HD5xxx series were all DX11 anyway, but a 5870 will still walk on a 6770 (takes a 6850-6870 to match).

It's a PLUS to see DX11(+) level performance, but I certainly hope they up the game (pardon the pun) with the final hardware to something more.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I remember back in the day when consoles could spank anything a PC could muster.....God, I feel old........[/citation]

i must have been in a coma.. never seen that day.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]I remember back in the day when consoles could spank anything a PC could muster.....God, I feel old........[/citation]

Check your memory because these days never existed. I remember a particular event where the console gamers got their backs handed to them by PC gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.