Samsung Smart TV Network Connection Issue UN60ES8000

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyst3

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I'm finding many threads on this site and across the internet regarding network connection issues with Samsung tvs. Unfortunately, I've only found one site which actually discusses the issue I'm having but no solution was found (http://www.experthelp.com/question/726072/have-a-samsung-un60es8000-cannot-get-on-internet-as-soon-as-the-network-come-up-the-tv-rejects-or-get-rid-of-it-the-signal-is-very-strong-just-had-a-commericialwireless-point-installed). The rest of the threads and sites pertain to issues that I'm not experience. So, here is my description of the issue I'm experiencing and I apologize for not using correct language.

I have a Samsung UN60ES8000 that will no longer connect to wireless router. I discovered this by trying to get on Netflix or other app and it gave me network connection error with option to go to network settings. I've had the tv almost 2yrs and has always connected to the same router, which is operating fine and other devices in the house are connected to it without issues. When I go thru Network Settings to re-set up the wireless network, it will search for networks and will only display my network (none of the other wifi networks nearby like it used to) for about 1 second and then the entire menu disappears. 2days ago I called Samsung support who confirmed my firmware is the latest version (version 001056), they had me try manually entering DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 but this did not solve anything as many other threads have said this resolves connection issues. Also, before calling Samsung, I tried to mirror the tv IP settings to reflect those of my laptop or other devices which connect to my wireless network just fine, but this did not work either. Finally, they wanted to try resetting the tv back to factory settings. After doing this and going thru the initial tv setup questions, the tv seemed to find and connect to my network again (don't recall seeing any of the nearby networks on the list though). I was so happy to finally have it fixed! But, the following morning I tried getting on smart hub to listen to Pandora and once again the network connection issue was back. Sure enough it was not connecting, when going thru the network setup it would only display my router (none of the nearby networks) for 1 second (maybe even less) and the entire menu would disappear or close. I tried same steps (manually enter dns and reset tv again), but the network connection failed to show my network after the reset. Also a note on the reset, I noticed the TV says this option will reset the tv to factory settings but network settings will not be affected. Since the network is the issue I'm having, is there a reset option that does reset network connections/settings? I repeated all the steps that Samsung had me do the night before at least a couple times, but still no luck. I don't understand how to get resolved if I have latest version of firmware. I tried downloading the firmware to usb anyways, just to reinstall in case it was corrupt on the tv, but Samsung's website does not have the newest version available for download. They only have version 1054.4 and when I spoke to Samsung two days ago, they said my version (version 1056) is the latest version. I tried downloading the older version (1054.4) anyways at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN60ES8000FXZA (thinking it would just update to the newest version later), but when I tried updating on the tv, it said no update files could be found on the usb device. This might be a whole other issue and maybe some different attempts may work but I'd rather just try posting online where so many have provided feedback/solutions to similar issues. I don't know why the reset would solve the problem one day, then the next morning it was back to not working and resetting the tv again does not fix the problem like it did the day before.

Just to reiterate the problem and steps I've taken so far - Problem: Won't connect to wifi, network settings menu on tv disappears immediately after searching for networks. Firmware version is 1056, tried manually entering DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (neither worked), then reset tv to factory settings. The reset solved the issue, but was back to not working the following day and no longer works when I try resetting again.

Intolerant-Goth

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

After spending some time creating my own DNS nameserver on my network this morning, I switched on my TV and went onto Smart Hub - ta daa! It's working fine without any intervention! I'm in the UK maybe, finally, Samsung have fixed the problem globally.

Standrews

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
I am having the same issue with the 8000 model. After calling Samsung support and going through the same process you guys have, I come to believe that Samsung is purposely doing updates knowing that some older models are not compatible to get people to upgrade to newer models or to get people to buy their expensive protection plans. Also, after reading all these post, I have decided to sue Samsung in small claims court first thing next week. Your thoughts?

Vivasam

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015
Mine is UN55ES7500 and I am from Edison, NJ. My TV was working good and I was unaware of these issues until two days ago. I called customer support with a different doubt and that guy asked me about the software version and said to update it. After updating, my tv lost WiFi connectivity. Since then I am struggling hard with their useless ideas and hours of customer service calls. I spent about 8 hours overall, but they are adamant in making me to pay for their service team since my tv is out of warranty.
Also he said, even if the people bought their extended warranty the software issues are not covered!
Now after reading all the issues, this seems like Samsung wants to make money from their customers and trying to do these things. I don't know what is next:(

sor123

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Close Ap software in Menu/ wi-fi. Doesn't work both Wi-fi and AP software, priority is Ap Software, direct connect laptop to Tv.I have this problem to 40ES6530. After disable ap software, all is ok

Audi--s4

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
Anyone have any news on this I am still without wifi. Our thread got hijacked in February by people saying the Samsung servers went down world wide that would be great if that was the problem, but the problem is the update 1056 and then 1057 did nothing. And for everyone saying turn of AP software on un55es7500 that is not a option it says this is not supported by your tv and it has said that since day 1. I guess I'm going to cave and let Samsung come out to my house to fix this. And if they change this wifi card they say is bad and it still doesn't work I guess I just won't pay them.

tol_tolo

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
Same issue here in Washington. 1.5 yr old ES7500 with upgrade to EvoKit SEK 1000. Works with wired (LAN) connection but does not connect to wireless or just can't seem to even list networks. I removed the EvoKit and this fixed the issue. Even allowed update to firmware 1057. replacing the EvoKit caused the issue to return. When I removed the evokit again, I noticed that the firmware version on the TV had reverted to older version. Many calls to Samsung and after the usual "level 1" run around. Waiting in limbo for "level 2" call back. I am going to write an equation to calculate the probability of a call back (infinity will have to be a variable). If this is not sorted, the days of samsung's logo in my household are numbered. -Tol

Davidq13

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
By the end of February, all had become clear, checking on other websites (though Samsing never to my knowledge properly confessed the problem). There were no problems with millioons of Samsung users round the world. The problem was entirely because of a software change in Samsung's own central servers whic messed up a whole class of smart TVs all over the world. Do you know why? Because every smart TV, when it connects to the internet, always 'calls home' - ie to Samsung servers - as a way of checking that its internet connection is working. You would have thought that was not necessary, and to check that my internet linkwas working, surely that is correct. But I think it is because Samsung choose to monitor exactly how we are all using our Smart TV functionality.... Anyway, the flawed software upgrade in their central servers meant that when all our Smat TV's 'called home', they were given a faulty message. And that triggered a report in our own TVs that the internet connection was not working, and so it prevented the Smart functionality working. It did not in fact mean that the internet connection wasnt working, which is why lots of us managed to get firmware upgrades in the middle of all this.

Now these faults can happen. My severe criticism of Samsung is that they didnt come out clearly and explain all this, and admit the problem. That has totally damaged their reputation in my eyes, and no doubt smiliarly for millions of other users world wide. I will not be buying a Samsung TV in the future. Poor show, Samsung. You managed to turn a technical failure into a real disaster for your reputation.

David Quarmby

Jeeper8889

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I've got this problem also with my UN55ES7500 that was purchased in 2012, we ended up just buying an apple tv which has all the smart functions and apps that the samsung smart hub has, plus more. We assume our tv will never be able to connect to wifi again.

I tend to agree with the person above that stated this is samsungs way of driving new TV sales.

Yuk

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
I have a UN60ES8000 called the support line and they sent me an email with software version 1057. Downloaded to a flash drive and performed the software update via the USB option. The previous version I was able to see the various wireless networks available, with the new 1057 I see no wifi networks? If I turn the tv off then on and do a network status check it indicates a connection, yet no connection on smart hub. Cycling the tv again and attempting the network setup the available networks flash then are gone. This was all reported to Samsung support, the only suggestion was to try a wired connection. At this point I'm too frustrated to continue. By the way there is no way to install previous versions of the software.

Audi--s4

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah I updated to 1057 about a month ago and I got the same thing flashing networks when I power the tv down then back up. I made a wireless bridge and pluged my tv in through Ethernet and it works fine. It cost me about $50, but better then having Samsung come out for $200 and not fixing the problem. I don't think Samsung really cares about old models. This is my last Samsung purchase. I have been going crazy since January with this and the should of had it fixed by now.

prontojoca

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015

HI,

I have the same issue with my Samsung Smart TV. I am connected via Ethernet cable. It was working for months without problem and then out of blue stopped connecting. I was playing the game of trying to solve the issue and eventually ( maybe by itself ) started connecting again. That was about 3 weeks ago. Since then no problem whatsoever , until tonight when the same issue reappeared.
I hope that I might give you something that you can work with in trying to find the solution.

UnSmartUser

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
I have a UN55ES6100 and also have the same WIFI issues noted on this thread: Cannot find wireless router, search for WIFI network screen disappears, etc. Additionally I have seen other menu problems, such as disabled speaker settings (unable to switch from internal to external speaker) and so on. I took the firmware update maybe two months ago, and since then the system has been acting up, with no consistent pattern to its misbehavior. I would not think an issue with the wifi card would cause all this. I've contacted Samsung, talked to Executive Customer Relationship department and they plan to send out a technician to diagnose.the TV. Will let ya know what is the result.

wyomingnan

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
Ok folks, here's the short and simple solution. We solved this problem that's been plaguing us for days in less than an hour. Forget about all the "Smart" tv software. It's crap. Don't count on Samsung to fix anything. It won't happen any time soon. Stop thinking they will ADMIT there is an issue. They will insist it's your router until you are apoplectic. The only difference between when your Hub worked a few weeks ago to a few months ago is the Samsung software updates/server updates. It's not your router. It's not even the smart chip in the TV. It's their lousy software. Why? That's not their business.
Sweet and simple solution: Buy an Amazon fire stick or a Roku. Plug it into one of your HDMI connections on the back of your TV. Our TV was mounted on a wall. The HDMI cable was in the side port but there are 2 more HDMI ports on the BACK of the TV (6100 type models). If you don't know where they are on your TV, Google a picture of the back of your TV. My fire stick came with a little extender on it which I plugged in. Also tilted my TV out from the wall and plugged in the power source. Felt back where I knew the HDMI ports were from the pictures and plugged in the fire stick with the extender. Switch the TV source to the new HDMI which shows up when you press "source" on your remote. Turned on the new fire stick remote and BOOM. I have Netflix, Pandora, Hulu and, since I'm an Amazon Prime member, I can rent movies or get the free videos and movies from Prime. If you don't have Prime and don't want Prime, you can still use it or get a Roku. I'm leaving the "Smartware" behind. The downstairs TV I had on the wireless and my DVR work fine and now I can have all the apps I want. Cost? $40.00 for a stick. TV companies will keep putting smartware into their TVs but our next TV we'll just concentrate on buying a good TV with the best refresh rate - won't even worry about the smart chip. We wasted all that time talking to Samsung support and support I got through twitter ( again, all they ask is what version software you have or what type of router and make you spend hours of your life resetting this and that and if i t does work again it goes out at the next update) and time wasted having our Uverse tech visit. We were educated about this today by our helpful next door neighbor who is an IT guru.
Finally, read the anonymous message from a Samsung support employee. Very depressing. This is what happens when dealing with a global company. Customer service if NOT a priority. Click where it says "http".
http://
P.S. The second time we turned our TV on after installing Fire Stick it showed as "Fire Stick" in the Source Menu. When we clicked on it the screen went black and we thought it wasn't working BUT all you have to do is press the >|| button on the Fire Stick remote and it pops right on. ALSO, when you want to go back to the TV you just click the "source" on your TV remote and go back to the other HDMI that's lit up. Happy viewing!
Good luck everyone! Post whether you use this solution. I think it will lower your stress rate immediately.

M Ronen

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015

some1 posted solution to this, i got the same problem on my tv.. so put the tv on standby menu, push puttons on these order... info -> menu -> mute -> power... ur tv open in service mode ... then go to Control>chance region to > A
go back
go to SVC > SVC reset, there u go.... :)

Mscott60

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015

M. Ronen - I couldn't get my tv to go into the service mode in the way you described. Do you mean that I turn the TV off (is that "standby"?), then push info - menu etc?? - Thanks - MScott60

Audi--s4

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
To get into the service menu have tv off then hit mute 1 8 2 power. Just be very careful if you change certain settings you can permantly screw your tv up. I heard this a long time ago and changed my wifi region from R to A and it did nothing for me. Good luck

Mscott60

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks Audi! I did get in the service menu with your tip but as you experienced..nothing! Time to get Apple TV or a Roku stick! Never really liked the Samsung software anyway. It's clunky!

Status
Not open for further replies.