Samsung TV' with DVI to HDMI converter

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to buy either Samsung 40EH6030 or 40EH5300 and paired it with my computer. Now my computer only have D-sub & DVI video port, are those TVs compatible with DVI to HDMI converter cable or do I have to buy a graphic card with HDMI port?

thanks in advance.

Solution
I'm curious about the audio connection capability here, it only works for audio input from my computer and maybe for sending it back from the digital audio out (on the TV) to a home theater system?
Not sure what you're asking here. The DVI port from your computer does not carry audio

With the 40EH5300, that apparently does not matter as you will need to run a separate audio connection to the TV anyway. This gives you audio through the TV's speakers. If you so desire (and your receiver has the proper inputs), you can use the TV's audio out capabilities to have audio go through your receiver's speakers.

With the 40EH6030, you need to run an HDMI to HDMI cable from your PC to the TV in order to get audio from your PC. If you run a...
Since the 40EH5300 specifications specifically state DVI Audio input, you're safe with that one. The 40EH6030, I would definitely download and read the manual to make sure it supports a DVI input with a separate audio connection.

Either that or make your life easy and get a graphics card with an HDMI output. That way, you don't have to worry about running a separate audio line.

-Wolf sends

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi Wolfshadw,

thanks for your reply, I learned from the user manual that the both TVs support DVI to HDMI cable, but without audio connection.

from 40EH5300 manual : If you are using a DVI to HDMI cable, a separate audio cable is required.
from 40EH6030 manual : If an HDMI to DVI cable is connected to the HDMI IN 1(DVI) port, the audio does not work

I'm curious about the audio connection capability here, it only works for audio input from my computer and maybe for sending it back from the digital audio out (on the TV) to a home theater system?

Now about picture quality, is DVI to HDMI connection works as great as native HDMI connection?

Not sure what you're asking here. The DVI port from your computer does not carry audio

With the 40EH5300, that apparently does not matter as you will need to run a separate audio connection to the TV anyway. This gives you audio through the TV's speakers. If you so desire (and your receiver has the proper inputs), you can use the TV's audio out capabilities to have audio go through your receiver's speakers.

With the 40EH6030, you need to run an HDMI to HDMI cable from your PC to the TV in order to get audio from your PC. If you run a DVI to HDMI cable, you will not get sound from your TV at all. You could, however, run the DVI to HDMI cable to your TV and a separate audio cable from your PC to your receiver (again assuming compatible inputs/outputs).

Concerning picture quality, a digital image is a digital image. Both DVI and HDMI are digital ports. There is no real conversion of the digital video signal and there is no degradation. DVI to HDMI will look exactly the same as HDMI to HDMI.

-Wolf sends

Solution