Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I have a TV with one open coaxial port. Is it possible to plug-in DirecTV and an over the air antenna into the same port? Could I use a coaxial cable splitter, combiner, or Diplexer?

I've already tried plugging the antenna into the input on the back of the DirecTV receiver, didn't work. However, did work plugged directly into the television.

If your DirecTV receiver is sending a picture to the TV over a coax cable, it (and your TV) must be very old. The common configuration for what you're trying to do is to plug the OTA coax cable into the TV's antenna connection, and plug the DirecTV receiver into the TV via HDMI. Then you can switch the TV to HDMI input when watching DirecTV, switch to coax input when watching OTA broadcasts.

If your TV does have HDMI input but your DirecTV receiver does not output HDMI, call up DirecTV and ask for the box to be upgraded. One downside of this is you will lose any movies stored in the DVR inside the receiver. Each receiver encrypts video stored on the DVR with a unique code, so you cannot simply copy the videos from one box to another.

But if the TV does not have HDMI input, you'll need a coax switcher. The OTA, satellite, and cable TV signals generally use the same frequencies so cannot coexist on the same coax line. The switch will allow you to choose one or the other without having to unscrew coax cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-A-B-Switch-1/dp/B0002ZPIQ4

A diplexer does what you are asking. Takes the OTA signals at low frequency, and puts it on the same coax as the high frequency satellite signal.

You cant use your TVs coaxal port to recieve both Satellite and OTA. Your TV can not decrypt the directv signal, thus you need to go through the reciever and then HDMI (or coponent or whatever you use) into your TV.

Now if your DirecTV reciever has an "OTA input coax port then you can connect your OTA cable to that.

You can use a diplexer at the antennas to merge both antenna's signal onto the same coax network, and then use a multiplexer to seperate it back out.

If your Reciever does not have a OTA input port then you will either need to purchase a special add-on device from directtv called an AM21N, or just have your DirecTV channels on HDMI input on TV, and the OTA on the antenna input on TV.

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013

When I plugged the antenna into the back of the DirecTV receiver, it would pick up a few very fuzzy analog stations. Plugged directly into the coax on the TV, it received over a dozen digital channels, crystal clear.

The HDMI port on the television, is used to connect to an HTPC.

Well you cant recive DirecTV signal on your TV as that data is encrypted.

How is the DirecTV box hooked up to the TV then if not via HDMI?

clarkjd

Distinguished

I wasn't aware that there were still ANY analog TV broadcasters. I thought that all Commercial stations had to switch over to digital in the early 2000's

U mean the TV has only ONE HDMI? [gasp] Next TV, u may wanto.....

So you have multiple problems. A Sat feed giving it to you in a coax which am dubious, and ONE HDMI input. Am kinda expecting Sat is like Cable, the set-top box should give you several TV hookup options, have you spoken to your Sat provider?

Eddie Castle

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013

The DirecTV is connected through the one and only coax. I hate to call DirecTV, thinking about switching. It's a pretty basic, 4-year-old television, 32 inch Samsung.

I'm wondering why the digital channels received by the antenna wouldn't come through the DirecTV receiver with the antenna plugged into the back of the receiver.

I don't know that the Sat provider is sending you Digital signal. The government mandate was for Broadcast signals, but sounds like you want to switch away from Sat anyway so all this is just academic?