Sharp LCD HDTV's Banned From U.S. Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Good thing that I bought samsung 32 inch last year. :) Loving every second of it.
Screw patent system, making the business worse.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
It'd be nice if they mentioned the nature of the patents being contested. The Bloomberg story only mentions that "The patent [...] was issued in 2004 and is titled Liquid Crystal Display having wide viewing angle."

Seems rather generic. I wish they'd explain what it is that Sharp is alleged to have stolen.

unlicensedhitman

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I own a 26" Sharp HDTV LCD, and I have no issues over it. If Sharp is using the same technology as Samsung then maybe I have a little of Samsung quality in my Sharp HDTV :p

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Who cares if the chip or something inside that tv is own by who and what so ever..
If sharp get banned, what happen to competition?
What happen to the pricing?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Sharp LCD HDTV's Banned From U.S. Sale
I was expecting that Sharp was infringing on Smamsung's patents, but then I read this line:

...a trade judge said earlier this month that Samsung televisions infringe upon Sharp’s patents, and recommended that Samsung’s HDTVs be banned from the U.S.

So, Samsung is infringing on Sharp's patent but Sharp is getting the ban?

motaku

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
It could be that one of Samsung tv infringe and that one is being banned, and one of Sharp is infringing so that one is being banned. So maybe now Samsung and Sharp will allow their use to tech to each other and get said tv unban.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I researched a lot when I was buying my first LCD TV and from an industry report, for the first two years LCD/Plasma was widely available and affordable, SHARP controls 90% of the market because it is the first on the market.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Patents are intentionally filed to be as vague and seemingly inclusive as possible, and somehow they are accepted in such a form. Patent law is probably more screwed up and backwards than Copyright law, it just gets less attention because its harder for millions of people to produce high tech gadgets in their homes than download stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.