Sharp lcd tv power button flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgal

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
We have owned a Sharp 32" LCD TV for about two years. Last night, the TV turned itself off and won't come back on. The power button just keeps flashing green. Any ideas?

G

Presumably it's out of warranty so take it back to the dealer -- a TV is a consumer durable and should certainly endure a lot longer than the warranty.

If the retailer starts quoting the warranty period, quote back the bit in the warranty that says it does not affect your normal consumer rights.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I had bad luck with a 45" Sharp Aquos and vowed to never buy from Sharp again. Anyway, you can go to www.sharpusa.com (assuming you live in the US) and search for the owners manual for your model, or try looking at the FAQs as well. However a quick Bing search shows that the blinking green light usually means a bad power board, which seems to be a pretty common problem in Sharp LCD TVs for some reason:

From http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Sharp_LC_46D64U_Television:

"bought the tv from best buy, and brought it home and attempted to hook it up. No picture, no sound, just a black screen and two blinking green lights at the bottom of the tv. Geek squad came out and told me it was the power board. Looking at the other reviews, this seems like a very common thread with this tv. "

I would imagine replacing the power board wouldn't be too expensive, assuming Sharp still has the parts (they tend to discontinue parts manufacturing as soon as they discontinue the model). I'd look up a local authorized repair shop on the above Sharp website and give them a call.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ Forgot to add - you should use a surge protector on your TV, esp. if you live in Florida or other T-storm prone states. If you have cable TV service, I'd also recommend using a cable surge block on the coax where it comes into the house. Basically it's a coax connector with a male screw-on connector on each end, and a grounding screw that you connect to a pipe such as the cold water pipe buried in the ground.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ Hmm, $1400 for a 46" TV seems about double what a good brand (Samsung, Sony, etc) charge for theirs, at least as shown on Amazon.com. I'd see about returning the set and getting a refund, then buying from a reputable manufacturer.

The only way to make Sharp improve their quality assurance is to vote with your dollars. So they either improve or go out of business..

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The frequency and color of the blinks will indicate the issue. There is a hold-down button sequence to try to backdoor your way into the set to see if the panel will light. You may have simply racked up too many "weird tuner faults" and need to reset it. My suspicion is that it's either that or bad panel backlight.

Unplug set, press and hold (on set) volume-down and channel-down and hold them while pluging in set. Will come on with "k" on screen, or will crash again if backlight bad. If it stays on, use your remote and arrow right then look for "fact init" and any other reset and turn them on. Arrow back up to "fact init" and hit enter. Let set recycle to green and unplug/re-plug in 5 seconds: the set should be in OOB state.

Status
Not open for further replies.